• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZTY's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal *Sep 4

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#81 Offline ExponentMars - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:45 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

wait so once the colony gets too big for that tank, how will you move them to a bigger one? 

sorry for posting so many replies ;-;

Edited by ExponentMars, December 1 2020 - 9:45 AM.

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#82 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 9:52 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I will get a tube "soaked" in fluon and attach them to a tank of the same design. Oh I have been planning this for 2 years now. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#83 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:11 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

So I caught sight of a major (i think, it was larger than most of the workers). I couldn't take a pic though because the gosh dang thing wouldn't stop zooming around. I have nicknamed her zoomer girl.

Edited by ZTYguy, December 1 2020 - 10:41 AM.

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#84 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:39 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I think you meant zoomer girl

Big brain moment

Edited by KitsAntVa, December 1 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• ZTYguy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#85 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:41 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Big brain moment

Edited

• Kaelwizard likes this

Currently Keeping:

#86 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 1 2020 - 10:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Big brain moment

Edited

Yes. He must be deleted.

• ZTYguy likes this

#87 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 11:09 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

If i ever get male elates i'll call them zoomer bois

• Swirlysnowflake and KitsAntVa like this

Currently Keeping:

#88 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 1 2020 - 3:44 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Oh I must recommend my YouTube because you will be able to see the ants moving and I will begin showing informational vids when the anting season starts.

• Ants_Dakota, Swirlysnowflake and MinigunL5 like this

Currently Keeping:

#89 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted December 2 2020 - 2:14 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Oh I must recommend my YouTube because you will be able to see the ants moving and I will begin showing informational vids when the anting season starts.

I subbed yesterday  :D

#90 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 2 2020 - 2:22 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

I subbed yesterday  :D

Awww thanks. The more subs the merrier

Currently Keeping:

#91 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 3 2020 - 1:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Only a few days before the big move. Yeee. Can’t wait!

Attached Images

• 779C4D1A-E386-49E0-BC18-5113ADB2E388.jpeg
  • A2AC5D39-310E-469D-9C96-90E9AE7C9EEF.jpeg
  • 03059A91-56E0-4C97-AD5D-E2B94A76470C.jpeg

• Swirlysnowflake, MinigunL5 and TechAnt like this

Currently Keeping:

#92 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:14 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Only a few days before the big move. Yeee. Can’t wait!

me neither! love that this colony is doing so well for you :D

• ZTYguy likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#93 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 3 2020 - 2:17 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Thanks a bunch. Oh and a fellow anonymous Acromyrmex keeper has challenged me. We are having a battle to see who can get the largest Acromyrmex colony. I plan on winning and will be posting vids and pics on this journal to keep you all updated with the challenge. Sit back and be prepared for this challenge to last a long time.

• Swirlysnowflake, MinigunL5 and KitsAntVa like this

Currently Keeping:

#94 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 5 2020 - 9:56 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

So I gave my Acromyrmex a slice of orange. They loved it the first day and are still loving it. The only thing is today I looked down at them and saw that they had covered the orange in flower petals.  :lol:  :facepalm: I will get photos tomorrow when I have better lighting and my laziness levels aren’t through the roof.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Currently Keeping:

#95 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 6 2020 - 12:44 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Here we go. I’m not being lazy anymore.

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by ZTYguy, December 6 2020 - 12:45 PM.

Currently Keeping:

#96 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 6 2020 - 12:47 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Also the condensation finally cleared and I can get proper photos of the nest.

Well it kind of cleared.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Swirlysnowflake and Wegmier like this

Currently Keeping:

#97 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 7 2020 - 7:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i can't wait to see the new nest!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#98 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 16 2020 - 8:52 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

So my rival finally got their colonyy and they seem to be doing great. Here is what they sent me.

"They are super active I notice and they definitely like hydrangea flowers because they went crazy running around when they saw them, they didn't do this for the clovers or rose petal and soon after they started choppin them up. I had to rearrange the fungus in order for it to look good and gather all their brood around it. They have a couple pupae and larvae as well as small bits of fungus clumped together. I thought they would be somewhat big but no they weren't, which kinda makes me happy because its nice having a small colony of small ants

They are also in a deli cup on a heating mat, the humidity is high and they currently have survived a day in my care. My from knowledge the more humid it has to be makes it hard for other ants keepers to manage but I love high humidity ants and they are very easy in my opinion. You can copy and paste these on your journal whenever, a good time would be when you update it net with your colony."

P.S don't play sherlock holmes to figure out who they are.

Currently Keeping:

#99 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted December 16 2020 - 9:10 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

When do they get the new nest? Is it one you custom made because that would be cool but also a pre built one would also be cool.

We don’t talk about that

#100 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 16 2020 - 10:10 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

It is completely DIY. I will add a list of items I used. It is coming along well but no spoilers.

Currently Keeping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users