• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ZTY's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal *Sep 4

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 9 2020 - 12:11 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

wow. great growth! 

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#42 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 9 2020 - 1:12 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I know. I thought that my breeding idea would take about 2-4 years but now i'm starting to think otherwise

• MinigunL5 and WSantkeeper like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#43 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 9 2020 - 1:13 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I was looking at the fungus gardens and was comparing it to the original photos and saw a huge growth but when I looked closer it was a massive pile of brood. You can see it in the last photo I posted.

beautiful colony! i’m so jelly now lol

you weren't jelly before? lol

• ZTYguy likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#44 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 9 2020 - 1:16 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I was looking at the fungus gardens and was comparing it to the original photos and saw a huge growth but when I looked closer it was a massive pile of brood. You can see it in the last photo I posted.

beautiful colony! i’m so jelly now lol

you weren't jelly before? lol

haha :P

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#45 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 9 2020 - 1:21 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Wish these were here. In a few decades

• smares likes this

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#46 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 9 2020 - 2:24 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Wish these were here. In a few decades

Who knows. Laws change all the time. Maybe they will be the next ants to travel across the US.

• WSantkeeper likes this

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#47 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 9 2020 - 2:28 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

no they are the definition of "plant pest"

#48 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 9 2020 - 5:30 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

no they are the definition of "plant pest"

hehe yeah, I've practically tore up my rose plant feeding them

Currently Keeping:

#49 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 10 2020 - 5:09 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Yeah, I don't think it's possible for any fungus grower to be shipped except for maybe Trachymyrmex or Cyphomyrmex. (Since they use frass).

#50 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 10 2020 - 8:42 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I have received Acromyrmex in the mail from LA county to the bay area, its certainly possible,

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#51 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:24 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

I think they mean across state lines.

Currently Keeping:

#52 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:43 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Yeah, I don't think it's possible for any fungus grower to be shipped except for maybe Trachymyrmex or Cyphomyrmex. (Since they use frass).

You can ship. You just have a higher chance of the queens eating the fungus pellet if single queens or the fungus getting injured.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
  • ZTYguy likes this

#53 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:45 AM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

It is illegal to ship across state lines of any ants. Getting a huge fine if doing so. With the exception of Pogonomyrmex occi which you can ship over state lines legally except california and flordia. Other then that it's illegal.

• ZTYguy likes this

#54 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 10:47 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Funny it's illegal in florida since you know it's florida.

Currently Keeping:

#55 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted November 10 2020 - 11:24 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

It is illegal to ship across state lines of any ants. Getting a huge fine if doing so. With the exception of Pogonomyrmex occi which you can ship over state lines legally except california and flordia. Other then that it's illegal.

I know it’s illegal. Look at the conversation above. I was talking about how they will never be exempted.

Yes, I do.

#56 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted November 10 2020 - 12:03 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Shipping fungus growers in general is a pretty terrible idea. My Atta had to be shipped to me and even with overnight shipping they nearly died. It's possible, but rarely goes well in my experience. On the topic of legality, fungus growers will never be approved to be transported across state lines. Never.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#57 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 1:15 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

I agree with that 100% they are too big of a pest and as hard as they are to keep in captivity they must thrive in the wild and must do great in any arid or lush areas depending on species. I also would never ship Acromyrmex or any other fungus growers but the person who sold me mine shipped them very well. They were well hidrated when I got them and even were foraging in their outworld while I was taking them out of the package.

Currently Keeping:

#58 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 1:35 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Go check out the Acromyrmex in my youtube channel if you want to see them move. Also from my last post the fungus has almost doubled in size.  :D  :D

Here is my youtube: https://www.youtube....DEl5oKCB20Fj1Q/

Currently Keeping:

#59 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 10 2020 - 1:53 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Go check out the Acromyrmex in my youtube channel if you want to see them move. Also from my last post the fungus has almost doubled in size.  :D  :D

Here is my youtube: https://www.youtube....DEl5oKCB20Fj1Q/

yep, i subscribed :) (i’m starstruck btw lol)

My YouTube channel :)

#60 Online ZTYguy - Posted November 10 2020 - 2:28 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

thanks a lot. I figured when you said veromessor in xl mini hearth. You posted about that a bit back.

• cocdeshijie and Swirlysnowflake like this

Currently Keeping:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users