• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chasicle’s Formica obscuripes journal

formicaformica obscuripes ants

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chasicle - Posted June 14 2022 - 3:40 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSpokane Washington, USA
I caught a Formica obscuripes queen at a lake about a year ago and decided to start a journal about their story so far!

So, I caught this queen last summer on a family trip to the lake. Attached is a photo of her the day of capture.

That same day I decided to search for hosts on the island I was camping on because Formica colonies are difficult to come by around my home. Unfortunately, I suck at ants and was only able to collect 4 hosts. I took her home and hoped for the best. Attached is a photo of her with her first hosts.

Over time, all host pupae became workers and there were no signs of eggs. I searched all over the place for Formica colonies but there was a heat wave at the time so finding colonies near the surface was even more challenging. Eventually, I gave up and placed the queen with her remaining two host workers in the fridge hoping that I could obtain hosts for her the next year.

This queen ended up facing yet another challenge. During hibernation her test tube flooded (I still don’t really know why) killing her remaining hosts. She was able to survive because I caught it early enough. I made her a new set up and left her in the fridge for a long time. This queen was placed in hibernation earlier then the rest of my ants and taken out much later.

This year I had a new determination to find my queen hosts. I searched and searched until I finally flipped a rock containing a Formica colony. The colony did not have any brood yet and weren’t a very large colony. so I grabbed about 10 workers and hoped I could get the queen to accept the new hosts. The introduction did not go flawlessly though. Though it did not take long for the new hosts to accept the queen, some acid must have been sprayed because many of the workers died. The queen was left with only 5 workers this time. I fed them a lot and attempted to disturb them minimally and crossed my fingers that somehow she would find success this time.

Miraculously, after about a week the queen decided to finally lay a batch of eggs! I know that I made a lot of mistakes in this process and I am trying to keep my mistakes to the minimum in the future. I will document the progress of this queen, and hopefully she will not have any more struggles to overcome in the near future. Attached a picture of a host worker holding the eggs

Attached Images

• 7337FC4B-DE6A-41E4-A495-61189476EF61.jpeg
  • F1104960-CD55-4E74-978E-9D88498E913E.jpeg
  • D6AD0BE8-531C-47D7-A009-A7EBD1A90720.jpeg

• KadinB likes this

#2 Offline Chasicle - Posted July 20 2022 - 11:12 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
The colony has acquired one pupae and a few large larvae! Workers coming soon!

Attached Images

• 03DE3EAC-A7BD-4D48-9497-D609A28EE17D.jpeg

Edited by Chasicle, July 20 2022 - 11:13 PM.

• Antkeeper01, KadinB and lazyant like this

#3 Offline FinWins - Posted July 21 2022 - 7:32 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States
That is one of the coolest looking Formica species I’ve ever seen

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#4 Offline Chasicle - Posted July 21 2022 - 7:47 AM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

That is one of the coolest looking Formica species I’ve ever seen

Yes! I love them and can’t wait to see the workers!

#5 Offline Chasicle - Posted August 3 2022 - 3:56 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
WORKER ACQUIRED WOOOO! a couple more pupae and some more big larvae as well.

Attached Images

• B694A1BA-314A-4508-B0C3-AC0F6EF55D9B.jpeg
  • 3CC6AFF6-2D99-4CCC-A58D-6E5626421FE4.jpeg

#6 Offline Chasicle - Posted October 7 2022 - 12:12 PM

Chasicle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Not much new colony developments other then that their test tube has ran out of water, and has been trashed quite a bit. A while back I purchased an arthropodantics all in one set up (fricking awesome formicarium btw). The colony is not big enough for the nest yet, but I decided to give them access to the outworld so that I won’t have to worry about them trashing their test tube as much. I plugged the nest portion with cotton, and attached a new test tube using some fancy ants Canada equipment. I also covered the new tube with an old charizard sock for extra style points.

Attached Images

• 97E2EDC7-BA15-4E42-AB61-8CC9926C4D6E.jpeg

#7 Offline verrerorocher - Posted January 10 2023 - 10:19 PM

verrerorocher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Updates?

#8 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 14 2023 - 1:09 PM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Update?

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 14 2023 - 3:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update?

Few journals on here last more than a few entries and if a member hasn’t showed up in months, it usually means they are gone for good.
  • antsriondel likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline BDantsalberta - Posted January 15 2023 - 11:57 AM

BDantsalberta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

crap, I guess that that's just the sad truth.

Edited by BDantsalberta, January 17 2023 - 9:34 AM.

#11 Offline verrerorocher - Posted January 17 2023 - 4:28 PM

verrerorocher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Update?

Few journals on here last more than a few entries and if a member hasn’t showed up in months, it usually means they are gone for good.

Aw man, I noticed that being a longtime lurker here. Just tried my luck since I am planning to get obscuripes this summer. If I ever do, I’ll be sure to post here often. Currently only keeping Camponotus, lasius, messor, myrmica, and tapinoma. Gave all my Formica away which I regret

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicaformica obscuripes, ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users