• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I'm bored

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 2 2020 - 1:35 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Says it in the title. What fun anting things can I do.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 2 2020 - 2:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Says it in the title. What fun anting things can I do.

Go into the woods and look for rare and/or obscure ant species. 

• MinigunL5 likes this

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 2 2020 - 2:47 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

sounds great. Thanks

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 2 2020 - 3:12 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You can try blacklighting though its a little late now.

#5 Offline BADANT - Posted November 2 2020 - 3:45 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
I agree with ant dude, go on hikes in the hills, woods and fields. Find what species are in those areas, so next season you’ll have some target rich areas to watch for the right flight conditions and timing for what ever species you decide to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Devi likes this

#6 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 2 2020 - 4:09 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Play video games or watch YouTube. Or try counting all the ants in you biggest colony.

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 2 2020 - 7:13 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Play video games or watch YouTube. Or try counting all the ants in you biggest colony.

Tryed that and the count is 30 but I have a new colony on the way with a lot of workers. 

Currently Keeping:

#8 Offline BADANT - Posted November 2 2020 - 7:34 PM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
I could loan you my Pheidole colony to count, there’s somewhere over 300. But every time I try to count them, I get somewhere between 5 and 10 and I loose track of who I’ve already counted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Ants_Dakota, MinigunL5, Devi and 1 other like this

#9 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 2 2020 - 8:55 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I did that with an old camponotus colony. Those were the days. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Currently Keeping:

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 2 2020 - 11:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Invent fire.
  • TennesseeAnts, NickAnter, Somethinghmm and 2 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline steelplant - Posted November 3 2020 - 3:42 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I guess the obvious one is design and build formicaria. Sketch out ideas. Gather materials, like interesting stones and driftwood. Make dishes or other outworld features out of ant-safe modelling clay. I love making nests because you imagine how the ants will use them, so you're totally absorbed in Ant World.
  • ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 3 2020 - 6:08 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I guess the obvious one is design and build formicaria. Sketch out ideas. Gather materials, like interesting stones and driftwood. Make dishes or other outworld features out of ant-safe modelling clay. I love making nests because you imagine how the ants will use them, so you're totally absorbed in Ant World.

yes! i was actually just going to say that! creating formicaria during winter when there is nothing else to do is the best, and it also helps you care for your ants better when you know the details of what ants need in a formicarium.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 3 2020 - 6:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Read good books. There's also more to the natural world than ants. Winter can be a great time for birding, for example. House plants help me through winter as well.

• NickAnter, Ants_Dakota and Devi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline Devi - Posted November 3 2020 - 7:02 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Read good books. There's also more to the natural world than ants. Winter can be a great time for birding, for example. House plants help me through winter as well.

Yesss.  Books are great.  Lol.  I am getting into keeping house plants, I hope to get some insectivorus plants sometime soon!

• Ants_Dakota and M_Ants like this

#15 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 3 2020 - 7:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Yesss.  Books are great.  Lol.  I am getting into keeping house plants, I hope to get some insectivorus plants sometime soon!

and i 100% agree with both of you. birds and house pets are/have been my thing for years. they are really entertaining and also pertain to ants(at least the plants)

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#16 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted November 3 2020 - 7:46 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

yes get a venus fly trap or pitcher plant of a sundew

• Devi likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 3 2020 - 8:23 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

my experience with those plants has not gone good. don't buy the cheap ones!

• Devi and ZTYguy like this

#18 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 3 2020 - 9:00 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Don't even think of bringing a venus fly trap near my neighborhood. (In a Gandalf Voice) They will surely perish. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Currently Keeping:

#19 Offline Devi - Posted November 3 2020 - 9:02 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

They are, in fact, very difficult to take care of.  You need to keep them at a high humidity, they need lots of light, and most importantly, they can't have any fertilizer in their soil.  This will kill them promptly.  

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and Ants_Dakota like this

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 3 2020 - 9:07 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

They are, in fact, very difficult to take care of.  You need to keep them at a high humidity, they need lots of light, and most importantly, they can't have any fertilizer in their soil.  This will kill them promptly.  

i think the problem was that i didn't keep them in a greenhouse sort of environment, as you are saying devi. well, i have lots to learn! 

• Devi likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users