• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I haven’t a clue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alacom - Posted November 1 2020 - 1:59 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Was tending to my Liometopum occidentale ants since they are the only ones not hibernating that I have currently, and when I finish up I see this very small winged insect somewhat near their test tube setup. It’s about the same size of their workers, looks kind of like a wasp drone but has a rather large gaster compared to the rest of its body, and was found in my garage in conditions unfavorable for any nuptial flight. I’m really just confused on what it is and how it got there because I’ve never seen an ant this shiny green and small flying in the cold. Even if it is a wasp, is it a male or a female and why would it be flying at the start of November???

Note: found in Modesto, CA

https://imgur.com/gallery/J7a1e0p

Edited by Alacom, November 1 2020 - 2:00 AM.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted November 1 2020 - 7:23 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Some kind of wasp. Its a female because of the long ovipositor on the end.

#3 Offline Deia - Posted November 1 2020 - 8:38 AM

Deia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Chalcid_wasp

Probably one of those. I get these in my apartment all the time, they're harmless to humans and the ants seem to love eating them.

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted November 1 2020 - 10:53 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Some sorta ichneumons wasp most likely. I don't know my wasps very well though, could also be a eucharitid or something.

#5 Offline Alacom - Posted November 1 2020 - 12:17 PM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks everyone

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted November 1 2020 - 5:03 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Definitely a parasitic wasp, but I can not dredge the name out of the depths of my memory. Not an ichneumonid though.

• TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users