• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 26 2020 - 7:33 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

So I have had a colony of these for some time now and I can’t quite figure out why they are supposedly so hard to keep. I got these guys as a small little 5 nanitic colony and they have had a steady growth and eat like beasts. The reason why I am asking this is because they were my second ever colony. 

Edited by ZTYguy, October 26 2020 - 7:34 AM.

• ghoguma likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 26 2020 - 7:45 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I suspect it's because the queens have a reputation for dying BEFORE getting to having 5 workers.

The consensus before this year was like a 3 in 4 loss rate - "buy at least 4-5 queens" has been the advice, unless buying an established colony.

This year people have done very well with the queens, especially those who collected lots of queens and have kept them in the months since then. My own rate has been pathetically bad, probably because I didn't have appropriate heat until pretty late, and also probably from shipping stress (a couple of them died within days of arriving).

Once they have a good number of workers, they do not have a reputation for dying, except that they are notoriously difficult to move. You can find videos of Nurbs showing how he moves the repletes.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted October 26 2020 - 8:02 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Thanks so much and I will check it out. :D  :yes:

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users