• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antkeeper014’s triple Camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 24 2020 - 12:51 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]
As of now(October 24th, 2020), I have three carpenter ant colonies, C. Caryae, C. Novaeboracensis, and C. Chromaiodes. All of which were found this year during flights, on May 26th. Previous I was also keeping C. pennsylvanicus, C. Nearcticus, and C. Americanus, which were all sold or died in founding.

Next year I plan on trying to obtain all species of Camponotus native to my state, by myself without buying, taking established colonies, or trading with other antkeepers in my state. So far I have documented all species except for C. subbarbatis, which has been found in extreme south western MA. I think this is definetly going to be a challenge, last year with covid I had tons of spare time to go anting and exploring, although with school in session, missing nuptial flights is going to be inevitable.

•With the exception of C. Subbarbatis, colony collection is not allowed

•I’m not sure if I’m going to take it to another level, but I found C. Discolor near my backyard, so technically I’ll need to find a queen to actually have all the species. But, the population could have died out among other things, so I don’t think I’ll be looking for them, unless somehow someway I find a queen within the next couple of years.

First off, the Camponotus caryae
My slowest growing and smallest colony of the bunch, I think caryae has to be the cutest colony I have. They are tiny little bubbles of energy, especially after a sugar water feeding. In the summer months they are extremely easy to keep, when I feed them they balloon up (especially the queen) to insane sizes, unlike any other Camponotus I’ve kept. This makes it so I only have to feed them sugars once a month, along with proteins every week or so.

She got nanitics on July 5 and is currently at 7 workers with a small pile of larvae. They had a small dehydration episode where they lost a worker and about half there brood pile, due to their test tube drying out. I absolutely love caryae, they are extremely low maintenance, brilliantly colored, and large enough to actually see and appreciate their physical features.

July 7th
0b393f2d19571db1899d0547837e7839.jpg

July 15th
908ed44104387921af0b32dcfbe4a929.jpg

Now
583580ac6bf01fc74250600488f20de5.jpg

0d7924e1a203ed84607b460ebba09a2d.jpg

Sorry, most of these pictures aren’t the greatest, all were taken with improper lighting.

Camponotus novaeboracensis
I’ve had a lot of ups and downs with them, and thankfully they have recovered very well from the downs since their Queen is insanely productive. Through dehydration, overheating and floods, they have always prevailed. So cheers to a bright future for them, given I don’t do something to kill half the colony again.

Capture pic
9268521d959b0426165609a766bd619e.jpg

June 18
9e6c873083f80bbe4d03cb12f2672e0a.jpg

Now
06e9f1b9cabca8d8223504c808cf3468.jpg

403d890cbf98a45e93db3c65bd0af74c.jpg

Again sorry for the potato quality

Camponotus chromaiodes
IMO the best colored Camponotus I’ve kept besides caryae, I don’t know why it is about them but I absolutely adore the rusty maroon thorax, with a fading shade into the abdomen. The workers have that same golden dusting of hairs as Camponotus Pennsylvanicus as well, which only compliments them more. I just love them if you can’t already tell. They have 20 workers on the dot and overall have been doing very well, with no setbacks or any dull moments, although they don’t have a major yet, which is mildly infuriating. They eat like champs, and hopefully they have a great growing season next year

Capture pic7b8075226b42e2ae44d13fb303155a07.jpg

June 18th
48500edfef4efd3c152182445a040ca7.jpg

July 14
0ec28f7cac37da2d1f237b4cac1da6c7.jpg

Now
18393d77d7c18856aa282049f72c2ff0.jpg

Sorry, I know a lot of these pics are very unprofessional.

So that’s all for now, next year I plan on moving them all into mini hearths. Not sure why I started a journal at this time in the year, since they will all be hibernating until Marchish. Anyways, take care and I hope your ants are doing well!

(My apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes)

Edited by Antkeeper014, December 14 2020 - 7:59 AM.

• ANTdrew and alex-barty like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 24 2020 - 1:06 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I find C. subbarbatus in forest edge habitats with lots of pithy/hollow stemmed native plants like milkweed, elderberry, jewelweed, and joe pye weed. Their flights coincide with C. chromaiodes flights here in VA.
  • Antkeeper014 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted October 24 2020 - 1:12 PM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

I find C. subbarbatus in forest edge habitats with lots of pithy/hollow stemmed native plants like milkweed, elderberry, jewelweed, and joe pye weed. Their flights coincide with C. chromaiodes flights here in VA.

Alright, thanks! I’ll need all the info I can get, I predict finding them will be exceptionally difficult, given I even find them at all. I heard they are mostly arboreal, nesting in twigs and branches.
  • ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users