• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Atta mexicana

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 27 2020 - 3:42 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

arizona, and new mexico have amazing ants while in colorado known for its "rich diversity" in wildlife has no amazing ants other than Pogonomyrmex's we don't have fungus growers, we don't have trap-jaws, we only have ants that nest in wood and dirt, and it will take well over a decade for any other amazing ants to make it where I live. :(

• Devi likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 27 2020 - 4:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

arizona, and new mexico have amazing ants while in colorado known for its "rich diversity" in wildlife has no amazing ants other than Pogonomyrmex's we don't have fungus growers, we don't have trap-jaws, we only have ants that nest in wood and dirt, and it will take well over a decade for any other amazing ants to make it where I live. :(

That’s not the right mindset; every species is amazing in it’s own way.
Congrats, Cheeto. This is now the longest running Atta journal in FC history.
  • CheetoLord02, DDD101DDD, OhNoNotAgain and 4 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 27 2020 - 4:30 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Well Colorado is a lot colder then Arizona or New Mexico, so it makes sense that you won't have those. You do have Myrmecocystus, Neviamyrmex, and Pheidole that are bigger then Lasius though.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#24 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 27 2020 - 10:06 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Do atta always need to be fed this much? Or are you powerfeeding

Leafcutters in general are some of the easiest ants to control the population of. They're able to use basically as much or as little food as you like, so technically if I really wanted I could keep this colony at this size for basically forever. Of course, being me, I want these guys as big as possible, so I'm trying to give them basically as much as they'll eat.

That’s not the right mindset; every species is amazing in it’s own way.
Congrats, Cheeto. This is now the longest running Atta journal in FC history.

And it only took 3 days, who knew! Of course, as long as the colony doesn't miraculously die one day this journal is here to stay, so get comfortable!

• cocdeshijie likes this

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2020 - 2:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In his new book, EO Wilson writes about keeping an Atta colony small in his lab like a form of bonsai.
  • mantisgal likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 28 2020 - 4:47 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Well Colorado is a lot colder then Arizona or New Mexico, so it makes sense that you won't have those. You do have Myrmecocystus, Neviamyrmex, and Pheidole that are bigger then Lasius though.

havent seen them in my life

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#27 Offline Devi - Posted October 28 2020 - 5:37 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

havent seen them in my life

Really?  I've seen some Myrmecocystus, (no queens though) and pheidole...  Where are you looking?  I think we have a great diversity of species in CO!  Although maybe that's just because we have pogonomyrmex and I love them.  They are my favorite.  Lol  :D

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#28 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:02 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

arvada around Standley lake

and in westminster

#29 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

CO must have good diversity. Isn't it basically a dividing line between eastern and western species? Tons of microhabitats with all the elevation changes as well would lead to lots of diversity.

• Devi likes this

#30 Offline Devi - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:08 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

arvada around Standley lake

and in westminster

Oh, nice!  I went fishing at Standley a few weeks ago.  

#31 Offline Devi - Posted October 28 2020 - 6:09 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

CO must have good diversity. Isn't it basically a dividing line between eastern and western species? Tons of microhabitats with all the elevation changes as well would lead to lots of diversity.

It totally is.  In the mountains I see loads of Myrmecocystus and other awesome species, and down here in the frontrange, we have tetras, lasius, Pogonomyrmex, formica, crematogaster, etc.  I think we have it pretty good.  :)

#32 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 28 2020 - 7:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Wow!  GREAT journal.  I will be 100% following...  Gotta love leafcutters.  :D

I feel like CO has some of the most boring ants.... aside from P. occidentalis

Ugh... hello.... you have Myrmecocystus.....

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#33 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 28 2020 - 7:52 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

but I havent seen them before at least I don't think so.

#34 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 28 2020 - 7:53 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

It totally is.  In the mountains I see loads of Myrmecocystus and other awesome species, and down here in the frontrange, we have tetras, lasius, Pogonomyrmex, formica, crematogaster, etc.  I think we have it pretty good.  :)

The crematogaster were found in durango way down south

#35 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 29 2020 - 5:51 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 10/29

Until now I've been mostly focusing on the growth of this colony's fungus, but I'd also like to draw attention to the actual ants themselves here. First of all, their brood is about to go pretty crazy. The queen has definitely been busy, and there are at least a few dozen newly hatched larvae seated right inside one of the fungus chambers. I was just barely able to get a glance of them here:

IMG 20201029 062047554
IMG 20201029 062120496

Another part of the colony that's easily overlooked is the tiniest of the tiny workers, known as minims. These tiny workers are able to get around basically anywhere, through all the intricate architecture of the fungus, around the legs of other workers, everything. I often time see them clinging to various parts of the queen, cleaning her. One time a minim tried getting on the queen's head and got kicked off by her. She got flung probably at least a centimeter across the nest!

Typically these workers are hard to spot, because they mostly sit among the brood, tending to it. However when they do come out to clean the other members of the colony, it's so incredibly cute! It'll be crazy to see the size difference between these guys and the massive soldiers that they'll eventually get. Even now seeing them against the queen is absolutely hilarious. They're only around the size of her foot!

IMG 20201029 062221131
IMG 20201029 062225529

Of course, this entry wouldn't be complete without some updates for the fungus garden. It's still doing really well, and growing more and more every day. Now that it's finally to a respectable size, the growth will be less noticeable day by day, but even over a relatively short period of time it'll continue to grow at an amazing rate. Even looking back to the original video I took the fungus is significantly larger and even appears to be healthier! 

IMG 20201029 062127866 HDR
IMG 20201029 062145786

Edited by CheetoLord02, March 11 2021 - 3:18 PM.

• cocdeshijie, DDD101DDD, OhNoNotAgain and 2 others like this

#36 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 29 2020 - 6:38 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Where have you seen Myrmecocystus? Those are in the southernmost parts of CO, down near/in the Rio Grande park.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#37 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 29 2020 - 6:40 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

I love the minims, I've only seen a size difference that huge in Carabara diversa. This difference might be even more significant though.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#38 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 29 2020 - 11:37 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

A quick bonus update, I decided to do a timelapse of them harvesting today's clovers. I was hoping to make it longer but my phone ran out of storage... oops.

• Karma, cocdeshijie, DDD101DDD and 6 others like this

#39 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 29 2020 - 11:48 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Awesome! I found it funny how in the start that one worker was trying to take that really long stem of clover into the tubing, and eventually succeeded after bumping it repeatedly.

Edited by TechAnt, October 29 2020 - 11:49 AM.

• OhNoNotAgain and MinigunL5 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#40 Offline Manitobant - Posted October 29 2020 - 12:11 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Remember to give them some other plants and not just clover. I've heard of people's acromyrmex not accepting rose petals after being fed them for months straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users