• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

which Camponotus fragilis, castaneus, festinatus

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rcflyer - Posted October 22 2020 - 10:53 AM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Trying to decide between Camponotus fragilis, castaneus or festinatus to keep.  Which are less sensitive and more active leaving nest? I like both orange and yellow coloring.  From what I gather Fragilis and Festinatus have fast movements and Castaneous more lay back?

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 22 2020 - 6:34 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

There's already controversy about whether what's sold as C. fragilis are actually always really C. fragilis, but that said, "fraggles" are pretty well-known in Californian ant keeping circles as one of the must-have species, whether or not they are actually fragilis or something that looks a lot like them. IMHO, if you're buying, get from someone who has a good record of having sold fun, active, fast-growing "C. fragilis" colonies to other people, and what you get will likely be a fun, active, fast-growing colony even if people are arguing about what species they REALLY are.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 22 2020 - 6:37 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 22 2020 - 6:49 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well if you are from Cali it is definitely going to have to be Fragilis. I'm 99% sure that Festinatus and Castaneus are not in Cali

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#4 Offline Silq - Posted October 22 2020 - 7:06 PM

Silq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

There's already controversy about whether what's sold as C. fragilis are actually always really C. fragilis, but that said, "fraggles" are pretty well-known in Californian ant keeping circles as one of the must-have species, whether or not they are actually fragilis or something that looks a lot like them. IMHO, if you're buying, get from someone who has a good record of having sold fun, active, fast-growing "C. fragilis" colonies to other people, and what you get will likely be a fun, active, fast-growing colony even if people are arguing about what species they REALLY are.

I haven't heard of this. What would they be if not fragilis?

Ant Journal: http://www.formicult...-journal/<br> My colonies: C. Semitestaceus, P. Californicus, V. Pergandei, S. Xyloni.

#5 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 22 2020 - 7:07 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Well if you are from Cali it is definitely going to have to be Fragilis. I'm 99% sure that Festinatus and Castaneus are not in Cali

Yeah good point. Antwiki claims festinatus is in Cali, but yeah castaneus definitely not....

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#6 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 22 2020 - 7:15 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

I haven't heard of this. What would they be if not fragilis?

"Camponotus fragilis is similar to Camponotus absquatulator in color and stature, but does possess erect setae along the entire head margin; in minor workers these setae may be sparse, but there are always at least 2 or 3 between the level of the eyes and the posterolateral angles of the head. Separation of C. festinatus and C. fragilis is no easy matter as the two are distressingly similar in virtually every feature. Furthermore, since C. fragilis is allopatric to C. festinatus, the two species hypothesis has not the benefit of the test of sympatry that so usefully distinguishes C. festinatus from such species as Camponotus microps, Camponotus pudorosus, and Camponotus vafer. Comparative genetic and molecular studies, such as those that separate C. festinatus from its sympatric relatives, are not yet available. Until such data become available the distinctions between C. festinatus and C. fragilis will be a bit uncertain." 

https://www.antwiki....otus_festinatus

There's even a debate right here on Formiculture about fragilis vs absquatulator but I'm not going to link to it as I hope it stays dead.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 22 2020 - 7:16 PM.

Tetramorium sp.

#7 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 22 2020 - 9:00 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I have some Camponotus that I'm fairly ceratin are absquatulator. They don't seem very different from fraggles at least from journals I've read.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#8 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted October 22 2020 - 9:22 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have some Camponotus that I'm fairly ceratin are absquatulator. They don't seem very different from fraggles at least from journals I've read.

Nah, based on the pictures I saw I am sure those are Fragilis 

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#9 Offline M_Ants - Posted October 22 2020 - 9:29 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I got them Id based off their hairs. I pm'd AnthonyP163 who was 90% sure they were absquatulator. 

Edited by M_Ants, October 22 2020 - 9:30 PM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 23 2020 - 3:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

C. castaneus are some of the shyest, least active ants around. They are very hard to get past 10 workers without the colony beginning to implode. It's best to enjoy their beauty in nature.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 23 2020 - 5:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
C. festinatus are present in cali, just less common. I think that slow growing ants aren't neccessarily not fun to keep.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline rcflyer - Posted October 23 2020 - 6:09 AM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

End up ordering castaneus as I like their orange color but for more active or fun Camponotus will have for festinatus.  

#13 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 23 2020 - 6:53 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
How did you even do that Castaneus are a eastern species.
We don’t talk about that

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 23 2020 - 12:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m really confused here.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 23 2020 - 1:02 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Me to...
We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline rcflyer - Posted October 23 2020 - 3:07 PM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I am in east coast.

#17 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 23 2020 - 3:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I see now! Castaneus was your only legal option all along.

#18 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 23 2020 - 3:50 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Ohhhh and festinatus I seee.
We don’t talk about that

#19 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 23 2020 - 8:20 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I am in east coast.

Where in the East coast are you? If you're in SC I can set you up with a friend of mine that knows a ton about Eastern ants. He might even be willing to get you some other starter colonies.

#20 Offline rcflyer - Posted October 24 2020 - 4:59 AM

rcflyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I am in east coast.
Where in the East coast are you? If you're in SC I can set you up with a friend of mine that knows a ton about Eastern ants. He might even be willing to get you some other starter colonies.
Thanks much I am in New York and is starter in ant keeping been researching what to collect. I love get yellow color Camponotus on West Coast but it’s easy or legal. I was able to ordered Pogonomyrmex from THA. Intent to keep Pogonomyrmex and Camponotus.

Meant to say it’s not easy to get Ants from West Coast.

Edited by rcflyer, October 24 2020 - 5:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users