• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera ergatoid male.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 5 2020 - 12:37 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

While looking for isopods along a pond, I lifted a rock and found a little pupal chamber of Hypoponera. Closer inspection revealed 2-3 pale individuals, one of which was a callow worker and the other 2 had unusually "deformed" bodies and wide heads. I collected one and the other got away. Turned out these were ergatoid males! went back to the same rock to pick up the colony but they had already moved deeper down and i only collected 5 workers to keep the male alive. Distinguishing features separating these from usual workers are the wide head, pale coloration, odd body proportions, clumsy walking, and tiny antennal scapes.

CSC_1835.JPG

CSC_1842.JPG

CSC_1859.JPG

• TechAnt and TestSubjectOne like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:05 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

That honestly puts me off. I just don't like how it looks lol.

Edited by Kaelwizard, October 5 2020 - 2:06 PM.

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:31 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Almost looks like a wasp. A deformed one
We don’t talk about that

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users