• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Houston, TX 10/01/2020

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline fabiemay - Posted October 1 2020 - 12:06 PM

fabiemay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello All!

I have found these ants in and around my small yard in Houston Heights in Texas. They have not come into my house. 

Last week of September. Though it should be noted that they appeared in great numbers after the recent tropical storm Beta on Sept 22. We got over a foot of water over 3 days so I believe they were always there just under ground.

Urban yard with plants and decorative stone, the ant I took a picture of was on my one large "old" Live Oak.

Do not know the length I won't even attempt to guess. They are small. I have attached a photo of one on my hand.

They have a orange head and Thorax, black gastor with strips hairy gastor. They are shiny. 

Though they do go crazy if you disturb the mound but they are slow to sting I had several on my hands at different times and only got stung twice and though it is bothersome not nearly as much as I remember fire ants to be. They are most active during the day. 

I found several openings and one large mound that came up they seem to be the same ant. The openings have popped up over a 20ft area. I am concerned with the number of ants that I am seeing, that it may be a spectacularly large underground colony and that they may hurt my oak or keep getting closer to my home (right now they are about 8 feet away.  I have a colony of Elongate Twig ants that I love, because they are awesome! But I need to know if I need to control these and if so, how do I do it without hurting my Twig ants?

I am including photos of the ant, some entrances and one large mound. These are all in and about a 20ft long area

Thank in advance for your help

20200928_1346271.jpg 20201001_1313021.jpg 20200928_1732301.jpg 20201001_1445011.jpg 20201001_1311511.jpg

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 1 2020 - 12:16 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

It looks like a species of Formica, I would wait for more members to give their input before deciding on any ID. 

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 1 2020 - 12:33 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You've got Camponotus in the first pic and Solenopsis xyloni in the rest.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2020 - 1:07 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

It looks like a species of Formica, I would wait for more members to give their input before deciding on any ID. 

It's actually one of the many Texan Camponotus sp.

• TechAnt likes this

#5 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 1 2020 - 1:08 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Huh, you learn something new everyday!

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#6 Offline fabiemay - Posted October 1 2020 - 1:28 PM

fabiemay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You've got Camponotus in the first pic and Solenopsis xyloni in the rest.

I thought so too but the stings I received from the ants in the mounds hurt for just a moment and never whelped up. I am allergic so the non-reaction to the sting made me think I was dealing with something else. 

#7 Offline fabiemay - Posted October 1 2020 - 1:31 PM

fabiemay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This is a terrible possibility, taking into account my oak. I was hoping they were not since they are small.

What about the ants in the mounds? They seem to be identical to me.

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 1 2020 - 2:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This is a terrible possibility, taking into account my oak. I was hoping they were not since they are small.

Well no, Camponotus won't do much damage to a live tree, especially not myrmentoma. If the ants in the mounds are the ones pictured in the last pictures, then they're Solenopsis xyloni, like we already meantioned. there's pretty big differences between them, most notably size.

#9 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 1 2020 - 3:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

The ants you pictured with the mounds are Solenopsis sp. It could be S. xyloni, but more likely S. invicta.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, October 1 2020 - 3:22 PM.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 1 2020 - 4:02 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

The ants you pictured with the mounds are Solenopsis sp. It could be S. xyloni, but more likely S. invicta.

Invicta mounds are very rarely so shallow, even for young nests.

#11 Offline fabiemay - Posted October 2 2020 - 8:21 AM

fabiemay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks everyone for your help! I greatly appreciate the input!

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted October 2 2020 - 8:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Invicta mounds are very rarely so shallow, even for young nests.

Ah, you're right. S. invicta do make much larger mounds. I seem to have overlooked that important detail. 

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 2 2020 - 10:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I second this. Many Camponotus, especially down south, have this bright, bicolored coloration.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users