• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Driving across Canada with ants?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline antdoctor - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:35 AM

antdoctor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Hello,

I will be moving a long distance in the next six weeks. I'll be driving across Canada. As far as I know there is no law against transporting ants across provincial lines (but could very much be wrong). Leaving that aside, does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking I will purchase a cooler that plugs into my car's AC adaptor and essentially hibernate the ants for the journey. I'll be starting around the time that I'd be hibernating them anyway. Does this seem like a decent idea? I haven't done a "dry run" yet. It would be unfortunate if the vibrations caused them to panic, as this journey will likely be over a week in length.

FYI I have two colonies - a Camponotus moduc colony with six nanitics in a THA Mini Hearth, and a Lasius species with ~75 workers in a DIY petri dish set up (but I may move them to a mini hearth too). I suppose shipping them is the other option but I worry about the mail being delayed, things spilling, etc.

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 29 2020 - 10:45 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

it is legal to ship ants around canada, so i would think it is legal to drive ants around.

• Manitobant, Antkid12 and Devi like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users