• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Thief Ants (S. krockowi, S. ocellata)(Discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted September 23 2020 - 9:47 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This journal is going to be covering my "Thief ant" Solenopsis spp. Primary focus will be on my Solenopsis krockowi and Solenopsis cf. ocellata, although I do also have a Solenopsis carolinensis colony that may be featured in here at some point. The other two species are significantly more interesting though, so they will be the starts of the show.

Solenopsis krockowi

This species is the largest thief ant in the US, if not largest in North America. I haven't really looked outside of the US to confirm or deny that. My queen is a bit on the smaller size for this species, coming in at just under 7mm. She is also missing an antenna, since I caught her in a spider web she must have lost it there. I originally started with 2 queens, an alate and a dealate, but around halfway through founding the alate died. I do imagine this species is most likely monogynous, and I'm glad that the dealate is the one to have survived. They just got nanitics recently, and as of now have close to 10 or so workers.

IMG 20200812 214652866
IMG 20200812 214650441

Solenopsis cf. ocellata

Completely opposite of S. krockowi, this is one of the smallest ants in North America. They are part of the Solenopsis pygmea species group, and are incredibly rare. S. ocellata has only been collected 3 times, once in Arizona and twice in Louisiana. The reason for the cf. is that this could also theoretically be S. whitfordi or S. pulleni, both of which are only documented in New Mexico. I really have no way to ID these confidently at this time, so I'll be sticking to the species that's documented in my state for my educated guess. Most pics of these are going to be absolutely terrible due to the fact that they are so small, with the queens being around 3mm and their nanitic being less than 1. Supposedly the workers can get up to 1.4mm, but that's really nothing to write home about. Either way, I really wanted to get the documentation of this colony out there due to the fact that they are so rarely collected, and I believe these are the only images of a queen of this species out there.

IMG 20200923 215312076

Edited by CheetoLord02, October 22 2020 - 5:33 AM.

• AnthonyP163, Somethinghmm, AntsDakota and 2 others like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 24 2020 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I need to get into thief ants next year.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 24 2020 - 6:38 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

wish we had more than molesta around here. I have kept molesta before, though.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline ArmansAnts - Posted September 24 2020 - 1:46 PM

ArmansAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Very excited to see how the Solenopsis cf. ocellata do considering how rare they are.

• CheetoLord02 likes this

Ant-Keeping & Ethology Discord Server: https://discord.gg/2QdvQescDW
Arman's Ants YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube....r6PhuBZiYATC-Gg

My Journal: https://www.formicul...-updated-91620/

Looking for news in Myrmecology? Click below!

antwire_formi.png

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 24 2020 - 4:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Finally, accurate thief ant ID  :lol:  Looking good, beautiful species.

• CheetoLord02 and ArmansAnts like this

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 25 2020 - 7:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I have a cf. truncorum queen that is the same size as your ocellata, but, almost jet black.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 3 2020 - 5:30 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Quick update here, and really not that good! Terrible news, even!

Solenopsis krockowi:

After a nice big feeding last night, the colony's ever-growing larva pile was craving food. So naturally, instead of eating the fresh mealworm they had, they killed and ate their own queen.

I'm not even kidding.

Solenopsis ocellata:

This colony's actually not doing too bad. The winged queen died, meaning there's a chance this species is pleometrophic. They ended up getting a whole 2 nanitics, one of which has since died. However, the remaining queen and one worker are doing just fine, with a nice big larva and a considerable pile of eggs. Thankfully this colony actually ate the food I offered them and not their own queen!

• TennesseeAnts, Somethinghmm and ArmansAnts like this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 3 2020 - 9:56 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Myrmecines have never been the smartest it seems....

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 22 2020 - 5:36 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

As of last week or so the S. ocellata queen randomly dropped dead. While unfortunate, I'm not hugely disappointed as it's likely these guys have some care necessity that there is no way I could have figured out on the first attempt. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea where the worker's dead body ended up, so while I will be sending the queens into AntWeb to be imaged, getting a positive ID on whether or not they are truly S. ocellata or not is probably going to be impossible.

#10 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 22 2020 - 8:05 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Nooo! RIP

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users