• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Freezing Test Tubes

test tubes cotton south dakota

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I live up here in South Dakota, and whenever i try to hibernate by queens that are in a test tube, the water always freezes, and the queen and her workers die. It as happened like 5 times already. Is there any way to help them not go through winter in a warm house? Because i have heard that harms them. Also, I don't have a mini fridge to put them in.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:58 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

me neither.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 21 2020 - 8:05 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

wouldn't a normal fridge work? I mean I have a digital themometer in mine and it doesnt go below 7, so that water shouldn't freeze unless you have it on a really cold setting? 

If it still happens even when its like that then all I can say is... OOF, I think its up to the ants though whether they decide to hibernate or not though sadly

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#4 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 21 2020 - 8:23 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I live up here in South Dakota, and whenever i try to hibernate by queens that are in a test tube, the water always freezes, and the queen and her workers die. It as happened like 5 times already. Is there any way to help them not go through winter in a warm house? Because i have heard that harms them. Also, I don't have a mini fridge to put them in.

Put them in a garage if you have one.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#5 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 8:37 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Put them in a garage if you have one.

I do, and they still freeze.

wouldn't a normal fridge work? I mean I have a digital themometer in mine and it doesnt go below 7, so that water shouldn't freeze unless you have it on a really cold setting? 

If it still happens even when its like that then all I can say is... OOF, I think its up to the ants though whether they decide to hibernate or not though sadly

I have a normal fridge, and i am not allowed to put ants into it.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 8:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you have room, a normal fridge would work fine. I get that not every family is keen on filling up the fridge with ants, though. An unheated basement has worked for me in the past, too. You only need to get them down to 50 degrees.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 8:43 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

If you have room, a normal fridge would work fine. I get that not every family is keen on filling up the fridge with ants, though. An unheated basement has worked for me in the past, too. You only need to get them down to 50 degrees.

I am debating buying a mini fridge for ants.

#8 Offline Barristan - Posted September 21 2020 - 9:39 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

either buy a mini fridge, or if you want to store them outside, you can use cooler bag. Put some plastique (glass bottles will burst) bottles filled with water in it, that will help smoothing out the climate inside the bag. The water will store heat during day and prevent the bag to getting too cold.

However if it is permanently below zero in the garage that also won't help...

Ants can dig quite deep and will stay in deeper regions of the nest during winter, so it'll a lot warmer than at ground level. If you keep them in test tubes they don't have that option.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted September 21 2020 - 9:39 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

This might not work, but maybe dig a hole outside and put your tubes in it.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 9:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, basically like a root cellar. A used mini-fridge off Craigslist might be your best bet, though.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 9:53 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Yeah, basically like a root cellar. A used mini-fridge off Craigslist might be your best bet, though.

yup. i will think about it.

good idea. i will try this if i do not get a fridge. Ants are harmed when not in hibernation during winter, right?

#12 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 21 2020 - 3:24 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

As far as I know, they arent exactly harmed by it, but it does seem more beneficial, and would help improve longevity, I like to think of it as imagine not being able to sleep for several days/weeks. It won't really kill you, but your not gonna feel like a spring chicken and if you have any existing health issues it might make those worse. 

If your winters are not too bad, putting them in a black bag outside would help with frost, but not if its cold enough to the point where its proper Ice. I like DDD101DDD's suggestion as its more of a natural thing, but the problem is making sure they have water is harder.

Even a small cheap desk fridge etc would do the job I think, possibly an attic? In the UK they get cold but don't freeze, just kinda enreliable

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 4:12 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

attic is a good idea. I will have to see how cold it gets up there. This might work.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
South Dakota is one of the coldest places in the USA.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 21 2020 - 7:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

It depends on how deep the ground freezes. If its six feet down, then it would be kind of difficult. I would say it would only be able to really work without causing a colossal pain in the rear, if the ground did not freeze more than 1.5 feet down.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 22 2020 - 5:19 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I think the ground temperature is pretty stable after something like 3ft. 

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 22 2020 - 6:47 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i an actually thinking about the attic idea. i will do that or buy a tiny fridge cheap.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, September 22 2020 - 6:47 AM.

#18 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 23 2020 - 4:26 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Something else to consider. It has adjustable temperature. 
1FBE06BB 1475 495E 9209 6110F071EEC2

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#19 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 23 2020 - 5:04 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

How much is that?

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 23 2020 - 5:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I am thinking of getting this https://www.amazon.c...3-4aad70960d99 

because of the price and reviews.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: test tubes, cotton, south dakota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users