• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My BIG HEADED ANTS Are not foraging!

big headed ants foraging not foraging help oh no

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted September 18 2020 - 6:31 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

The queen I got has her first, nanitics, and they are major workers and they don't want to forage. I am worried about the health of the colony. Please help!

The major just hang around with the queen. :ugone2far:  :ugone2far:

~ AntsSoutheast

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2020 - 6:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you give a bit more background?
What species?
What are they living in?
What temp?
What are you feeding them?
  • TestSubjectOne and BlueLance213 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted September 18 2020 - 11:54 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Pheidole sp

A test tube inside a foraging area

34 Celsius

honey drop

I'm very worried for their health.

~ AntsSoutheast

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 19 2020 - 2:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s kind of odd that she would start with only majors. I would advise placing the food directly in the tube on a piece of foil or paper towel. Offer some protein as well. Keep in mind that a tiny colony will feed very little.
  • ArmansAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 19 2020 - 3:32 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Could it just be normal workers that are just bigger than expected? I mean it would be awesome if its a genetic mutation causing only majors though.

It could also be they are eating but only a small amount and you are not seeing it? I found if i chop anything up that mainly gooey I never see them feeding on it because of how little time they need to spend processing it.

• Ants_Dakota and AntsSoutheast like this

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 19 2020 - 8:15 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Majors as nanitics. I highly doubt that. If they are indeed majors, this is completely normal, as majors prefer to hang around and do nothing. In the absence of workers they will switch to a more helpful role, however. I think that there's no need to worry. New colonies don't like to risk their workers as much and thus don't forage as much. It's also likely that they are indeed eating any food you give them, if only a little bit. My founding Pheidole didn't finish a pinhead sized drop of honey for a couple of weeks.

• DDD101DDD, Froggy and BlueLance213 like this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 19 2020 - 9:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Majors as nanitics. I highly doubt that. If they are indeed majors, this is completely normal, as majors prefer to hang around and do nothing. In the absence of workers they will switch to a more helpful role, however. I think that there's no need to worry. New colonies don't like to risk their workers as much and thus don't forage as much. It's also likely that they are indeed eating any food you give them, if only a little bit. My founding Pheidole didn't finish a pinhead sized drop of honey for a couple of weeks.

I agree. Let the queen get a few more workers before drawing a conclusion. Also, young workers tend to be much more shy and timid, as they are pretty inexperienced. And nanitics in particular don't have any other workers to do anything for them, and therefore have to figure out everything on their own. My Camponotus vicinus nanitic didn't start foraging until more than two weeks after it eclosed. As time passed, however, she became more bold, and now I see her forage once every 1-2 days at least.

Edited by AntsDakota, September 19 2020 - 9:11 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted September 20 2020 - 5:35 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

They are obviously major workers. If you look at their head it is almost bigger than their body. I find this kind of weird

~ AntsSoutheast

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2020 - 5:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s really odd. Did you buy a queen that already had minor workers but lost them?

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 5:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

or maybe someone brood boosted it before you bought it.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#11 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:21 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

I am thinking the same as Ants Dakota, I mean its a lot of energy to produce majors, I'm surprised the queen even managed to raise them.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 6:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, I think you may be on to something, Ants_Dakota.
  • Ants_Dakota and Antkid12 like this

#13 Offline AntsSoutheast - Posted September 21 2020 - 7:22 PM

AntsSoutheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

The queen focused all her energy on one egg. Its pretty weird

~ AntsSoutheast

#14 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 9 2020 - 11:37 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

The queen focused all her energy on one egg. Its pretty weird

this thread is from september but i was wondering if you have any pics?

My YouTube channel :)

#15 Offline steam_funk - Posted November 30 2020 - 7:09 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

My Obscurithorax colony barely foraged in the beginning even with majors so I gave them food at the entrance to their nest. They seem to prefer live food in the early stages so try offering a injured small insect. Their "hunger" tends to grow exponentially so if you can feed them a few times it should stop being a problem. I have had particular luck using crickets, mealworms, super-worms, and grasshoppers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: big headed ants, foraging, not foraging, help, oh no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users