• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Devi's Formica sp. Journal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted September 18 2020 - 2:28 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

First Entry:  Sep. 18 2020

I found this queen a couple of months ago up in the mountains.  I was out hiking in the mountains, (Twin Lakes) and of course was turning over all the rocks/bark I could find.  I was just giving up hope in frustration, (I couldn't find anything and I had been out looking for ants for hours) when I turned over a rock and found something big and black dart into a hole.  I got out my trusty digging tool, (I think it was a hammer then so I could get underneath bark too) and went to town.  I unearthed a beautiful formica fusca queen.  I quickly got out a test tube, and trapped her.  I was really worried about altitude change on the way home, but she (and a lasius I found) both made it home.  I had some mini hearths coming that I had ordered a few months before, and they got here days after I found this queen.  I put her in a mini hearth and watched her progress.

I saw she had layed an egg after about a week and got super excited she was fertile.  I proceeded to watch her, and she soon had a larvae!  She didn't have any other eggs, but that's OK.  After a while, that larvae turned into a pupae, and a few days ago, I was doing a routine check on her and found a nanitic!!  I was super excited but didn't take any pictures as to not disturb her.  I will try to get some later if I can.  I was worried that she might be too tired to make more brood before hibernation, but yesterday I checked on her with a red light, (as to not disturb her,) and I saw the nanitic was holding an egg!  Long live the queen!  I am super excited to keep formica and didn't make this journal sooner because I was afraid she might not make it.  I will post updates and pictures soon!

Thank you for reading. :)

Be kinder than necessary,

Devi

• AntsDakota likes this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 19 2020 - 7:33 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I want pics. And remember, it’s not F. fusca, it is a different species in the fusca group.

#3 Offline Devi - Posted September 19 2020 - 3:32 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I want pics. And remember, it’s not F. fusca, it is a different species in the fusca group.

I am on a "don't check on my ants for a week" hiatus in hopes this helps them grow, but it mainly applies to my pogonomrymex queen I have been struggling so much with.  I will try to get good pics tonight or tomorrow.  :)

• Kaelwizard likes this

#4 Offline Devi - Posted October 26 2020 - 8:48 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Second Entry:  Oct. 26 2020

A few of you have asked for updates on my journals, so I decided I'd take some time to update them all.   :)

I got a picture of the nanitic, so I will post it here! @Kaelwizard.  I put the queen (who is in a mini hearth) in hibernation with her nanitic last week.  I think next year I am going to switch her out for a test tube, because she has loads of room.  I am hoping that they both survive and then thrive next year!

You can somewhat see the queen in the top left area.

20201010_092629.jpg

Thanks for reading. :D

Be kinder than necessary,

Devi

• AntsDakota, TechAnt and Spazmops like this

#5 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 26 2020 - 9:10 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

That’s a really pretty worker! Does she have a brownish gaster or is she psysogastric?

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 26 2020 - 10:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That’s a really pretty worker! Does she have a brownish gaster or is she psysogastric?

Doesn’t look brown to me. It’s striped with shiny silvery color, of which is common amongst Formica.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Spazmops - Posted October 26 2020 - 11:01 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Doesn’t look brown to me. It’s striped with shiny silvery color, of which is common amongst Formica.

You're right, I guess I didn't look very closely at it.

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#8 Offline Devi - Posted October 26 2020 - 1:20 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Right on the money, ADak. :D

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#9 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 27 2020 - 6:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

just like my queen with 1 nanitic. i am afraid she will not make it though. :(

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#10 Offline Devi - Posted October 27 2020 - 7:18 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Best of luck!

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#11 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 27 2020 - 4:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Best of luck!

thanks! i think i need it!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users