• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Devi's Solenopsis Molesta Journal

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Devi - Posted September 16 2020 - 11:45 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

First Entry:  Sep. 16 2020

I have a massive solenopsis molesta colony in my backyard and they recently flew.  I collected 11 of them and put them all in a test tube.  I caught them all as alates, but since then,  most of them have taken their wings off.  I will update whenever anything exciting happens.  :)

Sorry in advance for the bad pics. :(

Be kinder than necessary,

Devi

20200916_122833.jpg 20200916_122840.jpg 20200916_134350.jpg

Edited by Devi, September 25 2020 - 3:00 PM.

• ANTdrew and ArmansAnts like this

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 16 2020 - 11:48 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Looks great.

• Devi likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:24 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Lucky, all I have are P. Occidentalis T. Immigrans and T. Caispitum. I have caught a parasitic lasius queen and maybe a Strumigenys queen but the lasius queen died and the other escaped into my bathroom. :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Edited by Antkeeper01, September 16 2020 - 12:24 PM.

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:37 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Lucky, all I have are P. Occidentalis T. Immigrans and T. Caispitum. I have caught a parasitic lasius queen and maybe a Strumigenys queen but the lasius queen died and the other escaped into my bathroom. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Just saying, you probably only have T. immigrans as T. caespitum is European.
  • DDD101DDD and TechAnt like this

#5 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:39 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

but T caispitum also lives in colorado. You may be right you may not but how do you explain the fact they will only eat seeds and popcorn

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

but T caispitum also lives in colorado. You may be right you may not but how do you explain the fact they will only eat seeds and popcorn

CAESPITUM DO NOT ONLY EAT SEEDS AND POPCORN!!! I’m sorry I just had to make a point. Both Tetra species are highly opportunistic feeders. Just because one colony has a preference for certain foods DOES NOT make it a different species. And also, where did you hear that caespitum only like that kind of food? That is not even close to true.

I’m sorry Devi, this person is just really aggravating me.

Edited by Kaelwizard, September 16 2020 - 12:45 PM.

• DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota, TechAnt and 1 other like this

#7 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:54 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

CAESPITUM DO NOT ONLY EAT SEEDS AND POPCORN!!! I’m sorry I just had to make a point. Both Tetra species are highly opportunistic feeders. Just because one colony has a preference for certain foods DOES NOT make it a different species. And also, where did you hear that caespitum only like that kind of food? That is not even close to true.

Yes, each colony has their own food prefrences, how could you determine its species soley on its diet. 

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#8 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 16 2020 - 1:08 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

You’ve said this a few times now, could you make a thread listing what foods you’ve tried? I have yet to encounter a Coloradan ant species that denies a grasshopper leg.

Edited by Spazmops, September 16 2020 - 1:09 PM.

• Devi likes this

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#9 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted September 16 2020 - 1:12 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

well they don't deny it they taste it and then gets bored with it.

but ok I will make a thread listing what they eat. and what I've tried. it will be in my journal

Edited by Antkeeper01, September 16 2020 - 1:12 PM.

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 16 2020 - 4:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Be wary with the queen grouping. I have never had success with it. Make sure to at least get a couple single dealates in separate tubes.

• Devi likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#11 Offline Devi - Posted September 17 2020 - 5:41 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

No, I understand. :)

In my experience tetramorium, (both immagrans AND caespitum) are some of my least picky and awesome eaters.  I have never seen a tetramorium colony not like a grasshopper leg, grasshopper body, other dead insects, honey and other sweet liquids and pretty much anything edible.  What the issue sounds like to me, is that you may need to be a bit more patient.  In some of my smaller tetra colonies, they won't approach the food (in this case usually grasshopper legs) for at least a day, to multiple days.  In this case, I just leave it in their habitat for a couple days, come back to check and they have hollowed the whole thing out.  You stated earlier, (I think) that you take the food out after just half an hour.  Try and give it more time, and try to limit the popcorn.  It isn't the most nutritious thing for ants to eat. :)

@antkeeper01,  earlier on this thread you expressed interest in acquiring more queens/colonies.  PM me if you are interested in trading/buying/selling. :)

Edited by Devi, September 17 2020 - 5:48 AM.

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 17 2020 - 6:31 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have had great success with solenopsis molesta queen groups. AntsDakota once had a 100 queened colony! They grow really fast and love butter and grease, so those are some things you could feed them. They also love seeds.

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 17 2020 - 7:57 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Caespitum is not really present in the US, it is immigrans. This is the commonly agreed on consensus. It has been proved by genetic testing fairly recently. The mindset that they are caespitum is older, and incorrect. Sorry for the hijacking, but I just wanted to clear things up.

• AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and Devi like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#14 Offline Devi - Posted September 17 2020 - 8:06 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Caespitum is not really present in the US, it is immigrans. This is the commonly agreed on consensus. It has been proved by genetic testing fairly recently. The mindset that they are caespitum is older, and incorrect. Sorry for the hijacking, but I just wanted to clear things up.

No, I agree.  I have only kept immagrans, but know a lot about caespitum just because I like to learn about ants.  I have yet to see a caespitum colony in CO.

#15 Offline Devi - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:06 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Second Entry:  Sep. 25 2020

We have progress!  I checked on these queens today, (11 in a test tube if you are new) and they have eggs!  Almost all are now de-alates, and I saw a couple dozen eggs!  I am hoping that I can have a super colony and make a natural terrarium for these awesome hardy ants.  I'm hoping that these queens will get along and that they will produce loads of workers.  I am imagining something like maybe a ten gallon tank with a dirt bottom, and then a sandy bank off to one side.  The dirt will form a "mountain" type thing on one corner, and the sandy spot, (probably where I'd put food) will be down at the other side.  Then, lush plants all through out the area!  These ants are really giving me inspiration.  I'm really excited about them.

Thanks for reading. :)

Devi

• AntsDakota and TechAnt like this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:11 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I have yet to see a caespitum colony in CO.

Not that you could tell the difference even if they were present in the U.S. You'd literally need a microscope.

Second Entry:  Sep. 25 2020

We have progress!  I checked on these queens today, (11 in a test tube if you are new) and they have eggs!  Almost all are now de-alates, and I saw a couple dozen eggs!  I am hoping that I can have a super colony and make a natural terrarium for these awesome hardy ants.  I'm hoping that these queens will get along and that they will produce loads of workers.  I am imagining something like maybe a ten gallon tank with a dirt bottom, and then a sandy bank off to one side.  The dirt will form a "mountain" type thing on one corner, and the sandy spot, (probably where I'd put food) will be down at the other side.  Then, lush plants all through out the area!  These ants are really giving me inspiration.  I'm really excited about them.

Thanks for reading. :)

Devi

If you feed them enough, they could very well reach several hundred in the coming months.

• Devi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#17 Offline Devi - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:12 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Are Molesta claustral or semi-claustral?

Edited by Devi, September 25 2020 - 3:14 PM.

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

:thinking:

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#19 Offline Devi - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:16 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

:thinking:

I had asked if they were claustral or semi-claustral, but then thought I'd look it up instead.  I ended up asking anyway, lol. 

• AntsDakota likes this

#20 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:19 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Sorry for taking this off topic, I also think a super colony would be awesome! Anyways:
I don't know why Antkeeper01 refuses and ignores making an ID request for his so called 'Tetramorium caespitum'

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users