• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheeto's Acromyrmex versicolor (Updated 8/16)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 25 2020 - 7:17 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Wow, I think this is a good group.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#22 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted September 25 2020 - 12:56 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Keep it going! Acromyrmex sure are fascinating...

• JFish180 likes this

:>

#23 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:10 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
I am actually really excited to see these doing well in groups. If they make it to full on colonies with more than a few dozen workers and still no queen deaths, I'd call that a success. Going to be following this journal for sure :)
  • CheetoLord02 and TechAnt like this
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Nice journal, and fascinating species. I do believe these are polygynous, correct?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted September 25 2020 - 3:17 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
I've never heard much about them being polygynous, but these seem to be acting fine together so far so I'd guess maybe. I always just assumed they were monogynous.
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#26 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 3 2020 - 6:58 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 10/3

We have a worker! She's soooooooo cute!

She must've eclosed just hours ago, as she can barely even stand up on her own. Nevertheless she seems healthy, and I'm sure as soon as she gets hardened up she'll start helping with the fungus in no time. The fact that it took only a month and 2 days for workers is insane. I've seen plenty of other journals, I have other groups, and I have friends with colonies, and none of them have come close to this time. Needless to say my hopes for this group are very high.

IMG 20201003 075454525

You also may notice the green on the fungus, which is because this group is actually taking real leaves now and not just flower petals! They continue to eat just about anything I throw at them, so I'm hoping as a larger colony they'll be pretty easy to keep fed.

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 6 others like this

#27 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 3 2020 - 7:23 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
Aww! So tiny. Congrats!
My Ants:

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 3 2020 - 7:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! Just wow!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 19 2020 - 9:41 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 10/19

I know it's been a while since the last update, but these gals are still chugging along just fine. The fungus isn't too much bigger because I accidentally let the setup get too dry and some of it died, but it has since recovered nicely. They are also up to maybe 5 or 6 workers, although it's really hard to tell since they tend to hide in and under the fungus. They are really active, though, and both queens and workers now tend to process the food I offer. This group continues to accept basically all food that I offer as well, which is a huge relief. They have quite a bit of brood of all stages, so hopefully the next generations of workers will be larger than the first, in both size and numbers.

The leaves in the background here are Mesquite spp., which Acromyrmex and Atta both take in the wild like crazy. They were cutting up these leaves until I opened the lid, but I scared them all when I opened the lid. I really wanted them to get a pic of them cutting because watching the queens and their tiny workers all gathered around the leaves is pretty hilarious.

IMG 20201019 223345365

• AnthonyP163, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 4 others like this

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 20 2020 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This gives me all the jeals.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#31 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:11 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I've never heard much about them being polygynous, but these seem to be acting fine together so far so I'd guess maybe. I always just assumed they were monogynous.

No, they are proven to be polygynous.

https://antwiki.org/...rmex_versicolor

Edited by AntsDakota, October 20 2020 - 5:12 AM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#32 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:14 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

This group has still shown no aggression between each other, but I believe pleometrosis has been documented with Californian populations. It definitely can be a regional thing, though.

#33 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:17 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I think the real test will come when there are ~20-30 workers. that is enough to bring down a queen.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#34 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:38 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I think the real test will come when there are ~20-30 workers. that is enough to bring down a queen.

in Acromyrmex the queens fight, it's not the workers that cull.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#35 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 5:40 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

oh, sorry. then i guess your colony is doing good!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#36 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 20 2020 - 6:09 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

"groups of newly mated queens cooperate in the formation of the first nests, a phenomenon known as pleometrosis (Mackay and Mackay 2002)."

"New colonies of this species can be founded haplometrotically or pleometrotically. Numerous studies have investigated fitness consequences and behavioral aspects of pleometrosis in Acromyrmex versicolor (e.g. Rissing et al. 2000, Cahan and Julian 1999, Hagen et al. 1988"

Quotes from antwiki. It says that they practice pleometrosis, but they're under the polygynous section.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#37 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 20 2020 - 7:58 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Awesome!

My Ants:

#38 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted October 28 2020 - 8:16 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Update 10/28

Since the last update these guys probably have around twice as many workers, and the fungus has grown a bit too. I've gotten them to accept the same clovers that I'm feeding to my Atta, which makes this the first food that both species have readily accepted. Even though harvesting them is very easy for me, it's looking like it might actually be worth it to start an indoor clover farm! I've never really been into the plant hobby, but these ants might just be the ones that make me broaden my horizons a bit.

IMG 20201028 090203917
IMG 20201028 090210464

Even though they have around a dozen workers, the queens still help to process the plant material to an extent. I'm assuming this won't last forever, but it's still kind of cool to see that the queens are still making themselves useful aside from just sitting around laying eggs.

IMG 20201028 090234761

I think after seeing the way that my Atta's fungus grows with these clovers I'm going to start powerfeeding these guys a bit more. Once they outgrow this deli cup I'm going to give them a real setup, and with that an outworld. Hopefully once they have an outworld I can powerfeed even more, and from there it'll just be a snowball effect. 

I still absolutely love how these guys look. They might not grow as fast as my Atta, but I've always much preferred the way that Acromyrmex look, particularly versicolor.

IMG 20201028 074259792
IMG 20201028 074241210

• AnthonyP163, Somethinghmm, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#39 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 28 2020 - 10:37 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

ant can get people to keep plants! yes!

#40 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 28 2020 - 10:45 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

ant can get people to keep plants! yes!

I keep plants :thinking:

• Ants_Dakota likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users