• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Should Journal authors be able to remove posts (by request) from their own journals?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Journal authors be able to remove posts (by request) from their own journals? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Journal authors be able to remove posts (by request) from their own journals?

1. Yes. (14 votes [56.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

2. No. (11 votes [44.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 10:02 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This would also apply to the "Market Place" and "Off-Topic Journals" subforums. The "Ant Journals", "Off-Topic Journals", and "Market Place" subforums would be the ONLY place that the topic author/OP would be able to request to have posts removed. For posts to be removed anywhere else, they would have to either be breaking the rules, duplicate content, or requested by the author/OP of the post in question.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#2 Offline dean_k - Posted May 12 2015 - 10:52 AM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I voted no.

While it would be nice to have more powers, I feel it could easily be abused when someone is having a really bad day. We have mods and you, so they should have something to do.

• AntTeen804 likes this

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 12:45 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Maybe I need to rephrase the question. I wasn't talking about giving members the ability to do this, but allowing them to request to have posts removed from their journal.

Edit: Actually my post already says that, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. I will change the question though.

Edited by dspdrew, May 12 2015 - 12:47 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline dean_k - Posted May 12 2015 - 12:58 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I was under impression that thread starter would be given the power to delete posts within his thread without consulting mods or admin.

If not, I'd have voted yes.

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted May 12 2015 - 1:18 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I was under impression that thread starter would be given the power to delete posts within his thread without consulting mods or admin.

Glad I wasn't the only who mis-read that title!  :lol:

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#6 Offline Miles - Posted May 12 2015 - 1:25 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Absolutely. We saw a good example of this issue this morning, which is what I assume sparked this conversation. When someone posts something intentionally inflammatory and incorrect, their post should be removed, per rule #6. We seem to have a particular issue with following that rule.

Edited by Miles, May 12 2015 - 1:26 PM.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 12 2015 - 1:31 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Absolutely. We saw a good example of this issue this morning, which is what I assume sparked this conversation. When someone posts something intentionally inflammatory and incorrect, their post should be removed, per rule #6. We seem to have a particular issue with following that rule.

Oh callow grasshopper.  Not sure what you found false or misleading.

Are you asking for a thread dedicated to the debate of the factual accuracy of claims made?

I discussed this weeks ago with the owner of THA, and thought we were on the same page internally.  I was not made aware that one or more units had shipped to customers until pictures were posted.

Democracy in action!

Edited by drtrmiller, May 12 2015 - 1:39 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline cpman - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:14 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
I voted yes because discussion is good, but it can get off topic really fast. Personally, I don't care one way or another very strongly.

#9 Offline PTAntFan - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:27 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

is there a way to delete the post but send a copy to the poster? I realized reading your Socal Anting post this afternoon that I may have hijacked your thread unintentionally. I don't think that thread is a journal per se but just so, I can totally understand an author wanting to delete something and I can also understand a poster wanting a copy of their post(s).

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Keep in mind this only applies to Journals and other personal threads, like Market Place listings/topics. As for all other subforums, a post won't be removed unless it is requested by the OP (of the post in question) or it breaks the rules. To allow this anywhere else would completely defeat the purpose of a forum.

#11 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:34 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Keep in mind this only applies to Journals and other personal threads, like Market Place listings/topics. As for all other subforums, a post won't be removed unless it is requested by the OP (of the post in question) or it breaks the rules. To allow this anywhere else would completely defeat the purpose of a forum.

I think you misspoke.  You were 99.9% there—

"To allow [deleting posts] anywhere else would completely defeat the purpose of a forum."

Edited by drtrmiller, May 12 2015 - 2:34 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

is there a way to delete the post but send a copy to the poster? I realized reading your Socal Anting post this afternoon that I may have hijacked your thread unintentionally. I don't think that thread is a journal per se but just so, I can totally understand an author wanting to delete something and I can also understand a poster wanting a copy of their post(s).

At this point, Moderators and Admins are the only ones who can remove a post. Personally I don't care too much about what gets posted on my own topics. I think your posts on my Socal Anting thread are close enough to the topic that I see no problem with them being there. There was only one time that it got out of hand, a long time ago with Alza complaining on my GAN seller thread, and even then I didn't want any of it removed. Instead I moved it to a new thread where he could complain untill his heart's content.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I think you misspoke.  You were 99.9% there—

"To allow [deleting posts] anywhere else would completely defeat the purpose of a forum."

Then don't consider Journals and Market Place listings part of the forum. Just think of them as Journals and classified listings with comments should the OP decide he wants them.

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 12 2015 - 2:47 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Assuming the behaviour was repetitive and unwarranted, isn't your above example more a case of spam classification?

What you're proposing in this poll is, if Mikey doesn't like Chance, and Chance posts on Mikey's journal, Mikey can ask that Chance's post be removed for violating no rule whatsoever, and you would be obligated to remove it.  In this case, why not make it so that the OP is the only one who can post to his or her own topic—instead of giving each OP the ability to define what the rules are for their own topics?

People won't always agree, and some posts may offend some.  Does this mean that the OP should be able to dictate rules as to what they find personally objectionable?  Wouldn't they be better starting their own website or forum, where no one can post but them?

Being part of a community like this means interacting with people who don't always share your point of view—and giving everyone the ability to censor other community members on an arbitrary basis with no rational basis for review, especially when there are kids on this forum, is like allowing a child to make up his or her own rules, so long as they stay in their room.

Edited by drtrmiller, May 12 2015 - 2:49 PM.

• Gregory2455 and cpman like this

#15 Offline cpman - Posted May 12 2015 - 3:32 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Assuming the behaviour was repetitive and unwarranted, isn't your above example more a case of spam classification?

What you're proposing in this poll is, if Mikey doesn't like Chance, and Chance posts on Mikey's journal, Mikey can ask that Chance's post be removed for violating no rule whatsoever, and you would be obligated to remove it.  In this case, why not make it so that the OP is the only one who can post to his or her own topic—instead of giving each OP the ability to define what the rules are for their own topics?

People won't always agree, and some posts may offend some.  Does this mean that the OP should be able to dictate rules as to what they find personally objectionable?  Wouldn't they be better starting their own website or forum, where no one can post but them?

Being part of a community like this means interacting with people who don't always share your point of view—and giving everyone the ability to censor other community members on an arbitrary basis with no rational basis for review, especially when there are kids on this forum, is like allowing a child to make up his or her own rules, so long as they stay in their room.

I do agree with this a lot. The idea of making journals where only the OP can post is used in at least one ant forum that I am a member of (www.lamarabunta.org -- it is a Spanish language one). Personally, I think that their method of keeping a subforum for comments on journals and a subforum just for journals is a bit cluttersome. Everyone should be able to discuss in a forum.

Edited by cpman, May 12 2015 - 3:33 PM.

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 12 2015 - 3:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You think I don't agree with all of this?

What I am proposing only pertains to the specific subforums. These are subforums for things that normally wouldn't even have any discussion. Think of these specific subforums like a Youtube video; the OP has control over what comments are posted.

#17 Offline Miles - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:09 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

The owner of a journal or market place topic should have the discretion as to what comments they allow on it. If they are offended or find a comment to be irrelevant or distasteful, they should be able to ask for it to be removed. It degrades the quality of their personal topic.

I don't however, support such discretion in more open waters, e.g. the rest of the forum. 

• dspdrew and Tspivey16 like this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#18 Offline drtrmiller - Posted May 12 2015 - 6:47 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

[Comments OP's disagree with] degrade the quality of their personal topic.

As if the same couldn't be said of every topic on every forum.  Hope you study up a bit more before taking the LSAT.

• cpman likes this

#19 Offline Tspivey16 - Posted May 13 2015 - 7:47 AM

Tspivey16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Perhaps one should study experts in this arena - i.e. Facebook. They give posters the ability to remove any subpost on their topic.

Personally, I don't understand the resistance in being able to remove something one perceives as taking away from their topic, why is there such a drive to be able to post such things regardless of the orginal poster's intent.

Current Colonies:

Aphaenogaster tennesseensis (50 Workers)

Formica subsericea (5+ Workers)

Tetramorium caespitum (50+ Workers)

Parastic Lasius (15 Accepted Host Workers)

Crematogaster cerasi (10 + Workers)

Temnothorax sp. (70 + workers)

#20 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 13 2015 - 10:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Perhaps one should study experts in this arena - i.e. Facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook is the last place I would go to get ideas on how to run a forum.

Personally, I don't understand the resistance in being able to remove something one perceives as taking away from their topic, why is there such a drive to be able to post such things regardless of the orginal poster's intent.

Free speech, and open discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users