• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Terrarium Containers[CLOSED]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 14 2020 - 7:55 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I feel like this question has been asked before and I'm sorry if it has, but I couldn't find anything suitable/in price range online. I've heard that THA uses Pioneer Plastics, but they only sell in bulk and their containers on amazon are too small for a full terrarium. I need a high visibility container with a lid that's fairly large(will house Solenopsis for at least a year) with a max width of 10.5 inches. I don't expect you to be my google slaves though, I just want to know what brands or types you have used and work well. Again, sorry if this has been asked here or somewhere else.

Edit: I have a ten gallon aquarium with only 1 fish in it. I have no real plans for it anymore so I'm thinking of moving the fish to another tank and using the empty tank. Not sure how my parents are going to react to a open-top enclosure, but at least I can placate them with the fact that I have one less aquarium. :)

Consider this post closed. 

Edited by Dry_Twig, September 14 2020 - 8:12 PM.

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#2 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 15 2020 - 5:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

use fluon. it is really safe and doesn't look bad.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#3 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 15 2020 - 6:53 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

I've always heard that even with fluon, ants can climb the silicone edges, so I was going to have a lid instead.

use fluon. it is really safe and doesn't look bad.

Edited by Dry_Twig, September 15 2020 - 6:54 AM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 15 2020 - 6:58 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

true. a lid is really safe, but finding one that ants can't fit through...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline Devi - Posted September 15 2020 - 8:02 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Use the best fitting lid you can find AND fluon or some other escape barrier.  Nothing's foolproof, but that's about as best as you can get.  :)

#6 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 17 2020 - 7:43 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Use the best fitting lid you can find AND fluon or some other escape barrier.  Nothing's foolproof, but that's about as best as you can get.  :)

Ok, thanks! I was going to use a custom cut piece of plastic and just put it on top, but is that good enough? For some weird reason this colony almost never tries to climb the sides even though all I hear is that Solenopsis are one of the best escape artists. On second thought, I just yesterday saw them tunneling through SOLID hydrostone in their mini-heart  :o Could they chew through the silicone seams in the aquarium?

Edited by Dry_Twig, September 17 2020 - 7:44 PM.

Spoiler

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 18 2020 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Silicone is very hard for ants to chew through. Not even my Crematogasters have been able to.

Have you seen these: https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title
Basically ideal for a big terrarium. I have two of these.
  • Dry_Twig likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Devi - Posted September 18 2020 - 5:57 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Ok, thanks! I was going to use a custom cut piece of plastic and just put it on top, but is that good enough? For some weird reason this colony almost never tries to climb the sides even though all I hear is that Solenopsis are one of the best escape artists. On second thought, I just yesterday saw them tunneling through SOLID hydrostone in their mini-heart  :o Could they chew through the silicone seams in the aquarium?

In my experience, the only time solenopsis try to escape is when they need something they don't have.  For example, if they aren't getting enough food then they will all swarm the top of the outworld, or wherever the lid is, making it IMPOSSIBLE for you to open it to try and feed them.  As long as you are providing enough heat, food, water, heat, etc, they most likely won't try and escape and you'll be fine.  Hope this helps.  :)

• Dry_Twig likes this

#9 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted September 18 2020 - 12:59 PM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

In my experience, the only time solenopsis try to escape is when they need something they don't have.  For example, if they aren't getting enough food then they will all swarm the top of the outworld, or wherever the lid is, making it IMPOSSIBLE for you to open it to try and feed them.  As long as you are providing enough heat, food, water, heat, etc, they most likely won't try and escape and you'll be fine.  Hope this helps.  :)

I think the problem is they don't have enough room, since they're storing brood in the outworld. I did not expect them to grow this fast, but I guess this is what I get for keeping Solenopsis as my first species  :lol:

Silicone is very hard for ants to chew through. Not even my Crematogasters have been able to.

Have you seen these: https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title
Basically ideal for a big terrarium. I have two of these.

Ok, thanks! As for the container, it's not really a problem for me to use the aquarium, since I already have too many tanks and this one was definitely not needed.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users