• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

--

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2020 - 7:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I actually just saw an alligator lizard yesterday in my yard for the first time in years.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 3 2020 - 5:38 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Did read this recently: https://www.google.c...?outputType=amp

I haven’t seen a decline in my area other than slightly less butterflies. I haven’t seen a Hemaris moth either this year, which is odd.

I saw that article and I’m somewhat surprised. I have a general sense that there’s been a decline even if this study hasn’t shown it. I’ve lived all over the country but mostly in the Northeast. As a kid and into my 20’s, I remember summer road trips needing to stop for gas and to clean bug carcasses off the windshield or evenings with lightning bugs filling the skies over a knoll. In 2017 I took a 6000 mile cross country road trip. I saw more radar traps than bugs and I can’t tell you the last time I saw more than 2 or 3 lightning bugs. It’s not objective and might not be statistically significant but there sure seems to be fewer (and different) bugs around. 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 4 2020 - 7:47 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Did read this recently: https://www.google.c...?outputType=amp

I haven’t seen a decline in my area other than slightly less butterflies. I haven’t seen a Hemaris moth either this year, which is odd.

I retract my statement. Just saw a Hemaris moth, and my native plant garden is full of butterflies today.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Martialis - Posted September 4 2020 - 7:50 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi
Did Virginia get the tendon cold snap in May? In Indiana that stunted Lepidoptera populations quite a bit.
Spoiler

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 4 2020 - 8:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

We did have a very cold May. I think we even froze at one point.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted September 4 2020 - 8:33 AM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

In my area in SoCal, Argentine ants are stronger than ever before, but so are the Brachymyrmex and S. xyloni populations. Unfortunately, it seems that the local Pheidole have withdrawn, but I managed to catch a minimal amount of Hypoponera, Crematogaster, loads of Solenopsis, and even a fraggle at one point (which unfortunately escaped from her tube). No massive flights, however.

:>

#27 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 4 2020 - 4:04 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:58 PM.

#28 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 16 2020 - 4:21 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

It might not be insects but it might literally be the canary in the coal mine!

https://www.nytimes....ce=articleShare

#29 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 16 2020 - 4:31 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

I've had a loss of every native ant except the ones that fight for themselves, or keep their distance by hiding in wood. I've seen a loss of inchworms, Moths, Frogs, and many more things but what is really good is that i am seeing many new species pop up, i saw a eastern hercules beetle the other day, a female one in fact and many more other unidentified insects so at least that good right?

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#30 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 16 2020 - 11:02 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

we didn't even have a pronounced formica flight this year, which is very unusual. I have caught formica for years and suddenly, i caught none.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#31 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted September 16 2020 - 11:29 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I will throw in one positive. Last year we saw zero monarchs in our area of NorCal. This year there have been a few. (Though they've completely ignored the scraggly milkweed I planted.)

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#32 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 16 2020 - 11:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve seen 24 monarchs in my area so far this year.

#33 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 16 2020 - 12:53 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Yes I have seen many monarchs to and last year I didn’t matter of fact year before last I didn’t really see any either, and antsdakota that’s pretty weird but it may just be that your not near a Formica nest, I have one in my front yard and there were many queens but I only decided to catch 3.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#34 Offline 1Shadow1 - Posted September 16 2020 - 1:02 PM

1Shadow1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationIndiana

I read scientific article on lightning bugs since I have seen less and less. Apparently they're in trouble. Light pollution along with pollution, logging and pesticides are the main causes of their decline. For many years I saw a drop in salamanders and other lizards. Barely have any now...you can only find them in the woods where all the pesticides and pollution haven't gotten to them yet. The farmers around here have been clearing every inch of ground so they can increase crop yield.

I read a recent article stating that animal populations have dropped by 60-70 percent in the last 40-50 years and that 50% of shallow water corals have disappeared in the last 30 years.

#35 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 16 2020 - 2:50 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

I feel like a very large range of ants here have had uncharacteristically "weak" flights

> Prenolepis

> Camponotus outside of BC, and pennsylvanicus in rural Southern Ontario

> Formica and Lasius in central provinces

> Pogonomyrmex (Alberta had much smaller flights, and it seems BC has had 2 flights in the past 5 years, and have been moved a month early)

> Myrmica 

Many species were earlier than usual, in addition to "weaker"

> Aphaenogaster

> Lasius, especially in Eastern Canada

> Solenopsis

I have actually seen more Lepidoptera this year, but interestingly not a single Red Admiral or Clouded Sulphur, which I saw everywhere in previous years

Edited by Canadian anter, September 16 2020 - 2:51 PM.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 16 2020 - 3:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This thread makes me want to drink.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#37 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 16 2020 - 4:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

One of the main troubles in my area for flights this year was the lack of June Gloom, which the Hypoponera flights depend on, as well as other cryptics. It has overall been a less humid year, which isn't good in general. Lots of monarchs, but the caterpillars are pretty much immediately killed by the Polistes(stupid things), and argentines have had a resurgence, as Nylanderia populations are growing small due to the aforementioned fact of a lower humidity.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#38 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted September 20 2020 - 3:58 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

:| Is it just me, or does it seem that there's a species decline article every week?

https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

:facepalm:

#39 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 20 2020 - 6:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sad.
Well, I’m up to 28 monarchs, at least.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#40 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 29 2020 - 12:15 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users