• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

--

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 31 2020 - 6:28 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:58 PM.

• Martialis and Somethinghmm like this

#2 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 31 2020 - 6:33 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

In norcal suburbs - SO MANY LIZARDS, harder to find insects. 

Still plenty of formica even in suburban areas. 

Decline of tetramorium

Argentines and Prenolepis still going strong

I've seen an increased number of monomorium both ergoytyna and phaoroanis. 

Still finding liompetum veromessor Pogonomyrmex camponotus and crematogaster in isolated pockets. I've been finding them more often, maybe because I've been home more 

Edited by 11.11.00, August 31 2020 - 6:36 PM.

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 31 2020 - 6:41 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Playa Del Ray Beach and areas closeby - 

Small Camponotus colonies I usually see out foraging, seem to be non existant. 

Argentine Ants: Much less, last year and they years before that, they had huge worker trails everywhere. Now there are significantly less workers out and about. 

SO MANY LIZARDS, is also true for me. 

Seeing less birds then I usually do outside.

Less spiders hanging around, I am finding more and more empty webs.

Less of anything in the trees really.

Edited by TechAnt, August 31 2020 - 6:41 PM.

• TestSubjectOne likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Last year the big Incisitermes flight where I am in HB was in late September-October.

I have seen very few Hypoponera this year, as it has overall been less humid than last year, and hence just not a very good anting year. I also havent been seeing many lizards. Not many songbirds, thanks to the hummingbirds and various raptors.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:01 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:05 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Last year the big Incisitermes flight where I am in HB was in late September-October.

I have seen very few Hypoponera this year, as it has overall been less humid than last year, and hence just not a very good anting year. I also havent been seeing many lizards. Not many songbirds, thanks to the hummingbirds and various raptors.

Ah, maybe they'll be late locally. I hope to see Incisitermes this year, the past few years they had already started.

Though speaking of lizards. I also barely see any bluebellies, and the whiptails I haven't even seen a hint of this Summer.

Yeah, last time I was at school when it happened, it was so funny with people freaking out about them.

• Antkid12 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:09 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Oh I'm seeing a lot of spiders. Mostly steatoda nobilis (giant false widows), they are pushing out pretty much every native spider. Adults are strong enough to beat black widows and cellar spiders on 1v1 fights so they pretty much just eat everybody else. They breed like crazy so they are everywhere. 

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here brown widows and some native orbweavers dominate. We have pretty much no more black widows left.

#9 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:16 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Here brown widows and some native orbweavers dominate. We have pretty much no more black widows left.

We had brown widows start to push out the black widows until the false widows arrived. I'm surprised they haven't arrived in socal yet 

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 31 2020 - 7:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Actually seeing a little boost in local diversity, although the dryness has caused some normally common species to withdraw.

#11 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 31 2020 - 9:08 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

#12 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 31 2020 - 9:21 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

#13 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted August 31 2020 - 9:25 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Actually, I have seen a rather large increase in spiders.That's the only insect-like thing (yeah spiders aren't insects, hence insect-like) that has actually had a noticeable increase. This year been seeing a new spider species never saw before, and quite a lot of them. These spiders are really aggressive too and rather big. Keep meaning to take a picture of them so I can get an ID. They'll go up to Pheidole workers+soldiers and also Argentine ants, pick them up, dart off and drop them. The ants seem fine when they do this, but its a little weird. And the spiders keep doing it over and over, but the ant never dies or acts like it got bit or poisoned.

Steatoda nobiilis most likely, I've seen them attack widows and cellar spiders in their own web. Very big and aggressive guys. Cool pets too

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 1 2020 - 4:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Did read this recently: https://www.google.c...?outputType=amp

I haven’t seen a decline in my area other than slightly less butterflies. I haven’t seen a Hemaris moth either this year, which is odd.
  • ConcordAntman likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted September 1 2020 - 4:45 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Have you tried looking around at night?

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2020 - 6:23 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Lots of bees this year. I think we have a hive in our neighborhood somewhere. It was like a bee air highway our our house, getting banana pollen, clover pollen, and berry pollen, and some from our neighbors trees.

#17 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted September 1 2020 - 9:25 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Same here, big decline of wildlife :(

#18 Offline TheAntGuy - Posted September 1 2020 - 11:26 PM

TheAntGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationMoreno Valley California
I've not really seen a noticeable decline, there are definitely more spiders though. Its likely due to the weird complete lack of rain in socal that plagued us from like late april until mid august.
Check out my journals, instagram, and youtube channel.

Insta: @theantguy17

Youtube: The Ant Guy

#19 Offline Martialis - Posted September 1 2020 - 11:44 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Seems to be a common theme everywhere, unfortuantely.

Spoiler

#20 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 2 2020 - 5:54 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Basically a decline of all ants except tetramorium around here. We need to do something about that invasive species.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users