• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Firebrick ant nests, Kits ant Keeping.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 7:57 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Here I will be listing everything I use for this nest and how it turns out when I make it.

Edited by KitsAntVa, September 26 2020 - 8:59 AM.

We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 8:59 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
The firebrick https://www.amazon.c...PNIDV4WHU&psc=1
The magnets for the glass which I will get from dollar tree. https://www.amazon.c...J3GP0VKW8&psc=1
Ant shack outworld perfect size for this. https://www.amazon.c...ZZOOYNISP&psc=1
I’ll add connection ports add on things maybe like accessories, if anyone also wants to buy these I will be selling them, customized. Production starts in around a month or so.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 9:01 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
The asking price for each is 35$ plus shipping but I will make exception for smaller enclosures and bigger ones, I will also customize them to the species and their habits and it depends on what you want with it may cost more. To add to this again I will use sponge or a small hydration port in the side of the enclosure to hydrate it.
Also I ship but I won’t do it any other way than the safe way which I don’t know what that is yet but I can’t make arrangements, I guess anyone on the east side of the US can order but anything farther will cost more shipping. Pm if you want to order but I probably won’t have everything until December or November, I can sell the outworld and nest separately.

Edited by KitsAntVa, September 26 2020 - 9:17 AM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 26 2020 - 9:42 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

so if i wanted one, i would tell you the custom dimensions?

• Devi likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline M_Ants - Posted September 26 2020 - 9:44 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Be warned that you'll need to seal the outside of the firebrick off with something. These things soak up water and it seems to disappear. I think the outside has to be coated in something to keep the water in.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 26 2020 - 10:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

The asking price for each is 35$ plus shipping but I will make exception for smaller enclosures and bigger ones, I will also customize them to the species and their habits and it depends on what you want with it may cost more. To add to this again I will use sponge or a small hydration port in the side of the enclosure to hydrate it.
Also I ship but I won’t do it any other way than the safe way which I don’t know what that is yet but I can’t make arrangements, I guess anyone on the east side of the US can order but anything farther will cost more shipping. Pm if you want to order but I probably won’t have everything until December or November, I can sell the outworld and nest separately.

no small hydration port. i have tried that, and water does not stay there. it disappears. into who knows where. there has to be sponge.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 10:49 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Yes I would add a sponge to soak it up also I would do the dimensions but bigger dimensions calls for bigger outworlds and smaller ones call for smaller outworlds ( possibly) I would cut the firebrick to whichever size is good for the glass I’m getting but the dimensions won’t be perfect but they will be near whichever size you want.
  • Devi likes this
We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 26 2020 - 1:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Perfect the design and raise healthy colonies in them before thinking about sales.
  • AntPhycho likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 26 2020 - 1:28 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Wisdom comes from the experienced, I’ll take that into mind since I already have a perfect design in mind and I’ll see if I can raise a healthy camponotus colony in one I plan on using them for my ants anyway.
We don’t talk about that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users