• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dubais> Mealworms?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 9 2020 - 9:02 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

My ants will choose Dubia roaches over mealworms any day, any time, even if their only protein source is dubias.

Are they really that much better? One colony (20 workers) resorted to eating one of their first major larvae even though there was a fresh mealworm in their outworld. They showed interest in the mealworm at first, and fed from it a bit, but after a while they just forgot about it and left it there. When I placed a dead dubia nymph in the same spot not long after, they reacted immediately and dragged the entire thing into their nest.

Should I bother continuing to keep mealworms if my ants clearly prefer roaches as protein? Maybe I'm not gut loading my mealworms properly? Not sure.

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 9 2020 - 9:35 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yes, Dubias are much better than mealworms but food diversity is key, especially with certain ant genuses like Camponotus.

Mealworms aren't great as a base diet but they're a good food to mix in.

• FSTP, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 9 2020 - 9:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Mealworms are my colonies’ least favorite feeders, but like Serafine said, variety is key. I cycle mealworms, dubias, crickets, and wild caught things like termites. I never repeat the same feeder two feedings in a row.
My biggest beef with mealworms is that they do not freeze well. They turn black when they thaw, and ants really don’t like them then.
  • FSTP and ArmyAntz like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 9 2020 - 10:03 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I've never tried feeding dubia roaches to my ants, but yeah my Camponotus doesn't seem to like mealworms too much. They have them sit in the nest and turn black, only eating them when I didn't feed them for about 4 days. Same goes for my Lasius. They just left the mealworm body in the outworld, and only brought it in when I didn't feed them for a week.

• ArmyAntz likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#5 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 9 2020 - 10:16 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Thanks for all your responses. I was afraid there might have been something wrong with the mealworms that caused their dislike, but it seems they're not too popular for ants anyway.

Currently the only feeder insects I raise are the dubias and mealworms, and occasionally I'll catch wild crickets which I freeze before feeding, so I think what I'll do is buy some actual crickets to breed for more variety.

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted August 9 2020 - 11:33 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Crickets are a mess to breed - they are loud, crap everywhere, cannibalize each other and they smell awful.

A fairly easy thing to breed are waxworms, you basically just need oat bran and honey but you need to make sure the moths don't escape.

• FSTP likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#7 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:29 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Crickets are a mess to breed - they are loud, crap everywhere, cannibalize each other and they smell awful.

A fairly easy thing to breed are waxworms, you basically just need oat bran and honey but you need to make sure the moths don't escape.

I'll look into waxworms. How are they nutrition-wise?

#8 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:31 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Fruit flies are also very useful feeders.

• TechAnt likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#9 Offline FSTP - Posted August 9 2020 - 1:54 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I'm really a huge fan of feeding "little kenyan Roaches" (Blaberidae sp). They stay small ( the roaches max out just over half an inch) and the babies make great fruit fly substitutes for founding queens. The only thing is they are a bit slow to mature and increase in numbers compared to dubias, This maybe a plus for some or a downside for others, just depends on your situation and how many and how large your ant colonies are. 

My ants can't get enough of them. For me they are a staple feeder though I do alternate with crickets, blood worm soup and spiders. They are the only feeder insect I keep an active breeding colony of because they don't smell, are not noisy, and are not a potential pest if any escape. 

Off topic, Serafine I love your avatar, that's one of my favorite ant related movies and the sound track is amazing, I have it on vinyl, its great! 

• Serafine and ArmyAntz like this

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted August 9 2020 - 4:21 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

They are pretty high in fat but also smell (and probably taste) like honey. My ants love them but they are a massive colony of fifteenthousand ants, I guess smaller colonies will not need a lot of those (I have the big species of waxmoth and the largest larvae are around 4-5cm long).

The important thing is to contain the moths as they can infest food supplies and bore into wood as well. Acrylic boxes like Ikea Godmorgon boxes work fine for that.

Edited by Serafine, August 9 2020 - 4:22 PM.

• ArmyAntz likes this

#11 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 9 2020 - 5:24 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

oh my goodness, those are some huge waxworms, I will admit I love how soft they are.

#12 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 10 2020 - 4:13 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Interesting thread. Over the 2+ years I’ve had my Camponotus sp colonies, they’ve had a variable taste for mealworms. I’ve kept a live culture of them for feeding Bluebirds and tried them with my ants. I also tried rehydrating dried mealworms as a feeding source with some success. I’ve had some success flash freezing mealworms then chopping them up to feed to my ants. Haven’t had them turning brown this way. I agree that variety is best so when I finish off this culture of mealworms, I’ll likely try rotating between Dubias and crickets. I just freeze the entire shipment as soon as they arrive then feed them 2 or 3 at a time. I usually offer a mix of things (Apple slice with chopped mealworm, or Dubia, or gutted cricket) and let them pick what they please. 

• ANTdrew and ArmyAntz like this

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2020 - 5:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They only blacken if they have been dead for a while, or in my case, while a spider is injecting digestive fluids into it. Other than that, they only blacken after a few hours or more.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#14 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted August 10 2020 - 6:17 AM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

They are pretty high in fat but also smell (and probably taste) like honey. My ants love them but they are a massive colony of fifteenthousand ants, I guess smaller colonies will not need a lot of those (I have the big species of waxmoth and the largest larvae are around 4-5cm long).

The important thing is to contain the moths as they can infest food supplies and bore into wood as well. Acrylic boxes like Ikea Godmorgon boxes work fine for that.

Thanks for the tips, I'll buy some of those and maybe some fruit flies as well to test out.

#15 Offline ghoguma - Posted August 21 2020 - 6:02 AM

ghoguma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMontclair, CA

try to reach out to local reptailes shop to see if they sell crickets lower amount compare to 50 crickets at a time. I can buy 6 or 12 crickets at a time so I just go there to buy them whenever it is time to feed my ants. cheaper, don't have to go thru hassle to breed crickets, and easier lol

Colony
Camponotus Querciocola 
Camponotus Modoc
Myrmecocystus mexicanus
Novomessor cockerelli

#16 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 21 2020 - 6:24 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Can I acknowledge that this says “Dubais”

Also I would recommend fruit flies in honestly, they are silent, they can live in really small spaces, lots of ants love to eat them, they don’t generate tons of waste too, plus they are fairly easy to breed.

But what ConcordAntman pointed out, you NEED to have a balanced diet long term for your ants for them to succeed.

Edited by TechAnt, August 21 2020 - 6:26 AM.

• ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#17 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 21 2020 - 12:38 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

try to reach out to local reptailes shop to see if they sell crickets lower amount compare to 50 crickets at a time. I can buy 6 or 12 crickets at a time so I just go there to buy them whenever it is time to feed my ants. cheaper, don't have to go thru hassle to breed crickets, and easier lol

Keep in mind, you can freeze them! Pop the entire container in the freezer as soon as they arrive. Their carapace keeps their moisture inside so they have a long shelf-life. Keep the package frozen and just take out the one or two you need for feeding as they thaw quickly. Don't leave the full package out as you feed your colonies since the whole batch will thaw and eventually spoil from too many freeze-thaw cycles. freeze tge whole batch and you'll have a flash frozen long term supply of feeder insects!

• ANTdrew likes this

#18 Offline Temperateants - Posted August 27 2020 - 6:36 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Mealworms are my colonies’ least favorite feeders, but like Serafine said, variety is key. I cycle mealworms, dubias, crickets, and wild caught things like termites. I never repeat the same feeder two feedings in a row.
My biggest beef with mealworms is that they do not freeze well. They turn black when they thaw, and ants really don’t like them then.

My tetras LOVE black mealworms and pupae that didn't develop properly lol.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#19 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted August 27 2020 - 3:02 PM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
My ants like mealworms more🤷‍♂️ I feed them apples and other fruits before feeding them so they get sweets and protein in one.

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#20 Offline AleeGuy - Posted August 27 2020 - 3:12 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

My ants like mealworms more🤷‍♂️ I feed them apples and other fruits before feeding them so they get sweets and protein in one.

What fruits? I only feed them with apple, I want to give them some other fruits

Edited by AleeGuy, August 27 2020 - 3:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users