• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brad's Myrmecocystus mexicanus Journal (Updated 3-5-23)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 26 2020 - 8:37 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! RIP

• B_rad0806 and Moonant01 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#22 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted November 6 2020 - 10:31 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 11-6-20

So today I decided to dump my best mexicanus colony with a queen into my queenless Mini Hearth colony. This ended up turning out really good! The workers all got along and the other workers took the queen in with no fighting. So now I have a 45 worker mexicanus colony. This colony is also getting 2nd gen pupae. The pupae seem much bigger this time and I expect repletes to come out of these. As for my other colonies, they are all doing very well. They all are also getting 2nd gen pupae that are pretty large. Doing really good so far! :yahoo: 

63D10CB4 0FEF 4E0B AF81 DB7213641496

Edited by B_rad0806, November 6 2020 - 10:31 PM.

• MinigunL5, Luke_in_AZ, ghoguma and 1 other like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#23 Offline AleeGuy - Posted November 7 2020 - 12:24 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Noice!
  • B_rad0806 likes this

#24 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted November 7 2020 - 1:22 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Very noice
  • B_rad0806 and AleeGuy like this
We don’t talk about that

#25 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:25 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 11-16-20

Two more queens died. Both leaving behind 10+ workers. Now I have to give these workers to another colony. I have 4 queens left. I'm pretty sure these died because of the random queen deaths in this species. They were all doing very well with a ton of larvae and pupae. Only good thing about this is I will have another colony with 30+ workers and a ton of brood. As for my big colony they are doing great. More pupae are hatching and larvae are spinning into pupae. 

• Moonant01 likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#26 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:30 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Update 11-16-20

Two more queens died. Both leaving behind 10+ workers. Now I have to give these workers to another colony. I have 4 queens left. I'm pretty sure these died because of the random queen deaths in this species. They were all doing very well with a ton of larvae and pupae. Only good thing about this is I will have another colony with 30+ workers and a ton of brood. As for my big colony they are doing great. More pupae are hatching and larvae are spinning into pupae. 

wow. those colonies seemed to be doing really well, and then they just suddenly died. 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#27 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted November 16 2020 - 9:35 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 11-16-20

wow. those colonies seemed to be doing really well, and then they just suddenly died. 

Yeah, the only thing that sucks about Myrmecocystus 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#28 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 16 2020 - 11:11 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Update 11-16-20

Yeah, the only thing that sucks about Myrmecocystus 

other than me not being able to get them in the first place...

• B_rad0806 likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#29 Offline ghoguma - Posted November 16 2020 - 5:20 PM

ghoguma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMontclair, CA

Update 11-6-20
So today I decided to dump my best mexicanus colony with a queen into my queenless Mini Hearth colony. This ended up turning out really good! The workers all got along and the other workers took the queen in with no fighting. So now I have a 45 worker mexicanus colony. This colony is also getting 2nd gen pupae. The pupae seem much bigger this time and I expect repletes to come out of these. As for my other colonies, they are all doing very well. They all are also getting 2nd gen pupae that are pretty large. Doing really good so far! :yahoo:

Glad they didn't get into fight. I'm more afraid adding new workers to new queen might cause more stress on her personally lol
  • B_rad0806 likes this
Colony
Camponotus Querciocola 
Camponotus Modoc
Myrmecocystus mexicanus
Novomessor cockerelli

#30 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted November 17 2020 - 5:48 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Are they polygynous?

#31 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted November 17 2020 - 9:56 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Are they polygynous?

I attempted a polygynous colony for these but one of the queens died. The queen just has larvae now. I do know some people that currently have a polygynous colony of these but i doubt they would last long term. 

• MinigunL5 likes this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#32 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted November 17 2020 - 10:06 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Are they polygynous?

I've attempted 5 poly sets. None of them worked out, even when provided enough room, my best one culled a queen, my last poly set died out last week, both queens dead.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#33 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted November 17 2020 - 10:12 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Are they polygynous?

I've attempted 5 poly sets. None of them worked out, even when provided enough room, my best one culled a queen, my last poly set died out last week, both queens dead.

polygyne could just be a regional thing. 

• MinigunL5 likes this

#34 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:35 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 12-9-20

This colony is doing pretty good. 3 weeks ago my big colony lost its queen and I was really sad. Then I realized I had my failed polygynous queen was still sitting in its tube with brood. I used that queen to re queen the mini hearth colony. My big colony has 5 repletes now and a lot of brood. As for my other colony, it has 16 workers and a good amount of brood. I am going to try a dirt nest with this colony I just need the supplies. But for now they will be in their pencil case.

F43D0276 9308 4250 8A02 A5C625D0C17E
EB5746D7 8B52 401A A3F6 869CD4919CDD
C3C639BD 3598 4E6B 8A0D 88F3AD478689

• YsTheAnt, MinigunL5, TechAnt and 2 others like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#35 Offline TechAnt - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:37 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Too bad the queen died, I hope they grow back!

• B_rad0806 likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#36 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 9 2020 - 9:38 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Too bad the queen died, I hope they grow back!

Yeah it was weird. The queen was perfectly fat and healthy then one day it just threw up everything. A few days later it died. I had never seen anything like it

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#37 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 9 2020 - 12:16 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

i love those huge repletes! they look awesome!

• B_rad0806 and MinigunL5 like this

#38 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted December 16 2020 - 9:22 AM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

This isn't an update but I am seeing weird behavior with my big colony. There is a single larvae that they have just been attacking. Have any of you guys seen this kind of behavior? I haven't changed anything in their diet by the way.

• YsTheAnt, Devi and Moonant01 like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#39 Offline B_rad0806 - Posted May 26 2021 - 3:35 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Update 5-26-21

All of these were either sold or just died. I got my largest colony to around 70+ workers and a few repletes but the queen just decides to die on me. I am still trying to figure out what has been killing them but HOPEFULLY it shouldn't be an issue for when I catch more in 2-3 months. I will be much more prepared this time around than I was in August-October. If I fail this time then uh... maybe I should just quit the hobby all together.

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#40 Offline nurbs - Posted May 26 2021 - 5:29 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Update 5-26-21

All of these were either sold or just died. I got my largest colony to around 70+ workers and a few repletes but the queen just decides to die on me. I am still trying to figure out what has been killing them but HOPEFULLY it shouldn't be an issue for when I catch more in 2-3 months. I will be much more prepared this time around than I was in August-October. If I fail this time then uh... maybe I should just quit the hobby all together.

If you quit can I have the rest of your THA stuff?

• B_rad0806, Antkeeper01 and Moonant01 like this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02