• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fun times with Neivamyrmex

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:11 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
let me start this story off with acknowledging that I know the keeping of these ants seems to be frowned upon. I am not concerned with those sentiments, I am here to tell a funny and cautionary tale.
These ants are a fun ant to keep, I do not think permanent containmemt is a good idea, but temporary containmemt seems to be ok. Say a few weeks to a month with proper care and commitment. Colony 2 containmemt started with a bucket and some little storage bin. Then I attached a nest box. Later a large storage bin was used. The contents of the the bucket and little bin were dumped in. This large bin was then attached to the nest box. The final set up was a nest box, a larger type of box similar to the nest box, and a large round tub for the outworld. Sand was placed in there along with some pieces of branches that were from previous feedings, and some fake plants for color.
Colony 3 was later captured and kept in the bucket and little bin setup.

Maintenance for these ants was pretty reasonable save for feeding which is a bit more work.
A mix of ants and termites was fed to them. Branches were collect that had ants nesting in them, these would be placed in the outworld that the ants could then raid. Aphaenogaster sp. And camponotus sp. were the normal but some brood from tapinoma was collected at one point as well. I collected ant brood manually a few times but mostly let them do what they do naturally... raid.
Termites were also readily taken. I had a DIY humidifier that I would connect to whatever nest box they would bivouac in. It was not constantly connected but every once in a while it would be.

These ants took over a month of monitoring and took way more than one trip to actually capture a good amount of the colony. It was an adventure, but the actual keeping of them turned into a fun adventure as well. I did not expect most of these scenarios to play out the way they did.
I have kept a journal of the events that have taken place from capture to escape.

July 30- the first batch of Neivamyrmex were captured with the queen. I continued to go out on other nights to obtain more workers and brood.
The ants were given some nest boxes and an outworld. The ants were given a heat source and darkness.
August 4-5 The queen was taken from the colony so as to use her to attract more ants for collection.
She was placed in a test tube with holes that were "to small for her to escape". That tube was then placed in a larger container so as the ants could coalesce within that container. So after a while I packed everything up and we headed home. After we got home I went to get the queen out of her confinement, she was gone. She had escaped and I did not even realize. So I ran back out to the location and searched and searched. Finally I came across the trail that went over a curb to the road side and continued on. I found the queen again on that trail quickly and recaptured her.

August 5-6? I think I am not 100% on the date.
I obtained a second batch of ants. Queen and workers.

August 7- I used the queen from colony 2 with the proper containmemt to attract the other colony members with some success.
Her presence seemed to have instigated and emigration. I later dug up a fair amount of ants and brood.

August 9- During the time I spent collecting colony 2, I had obtained a lot of brood. Mostly larvae, but on the 9th I noticed pupae had developed which was a good sign.

So colony 3 got out of there containmemt due to a hole that was left unplugged. I looked everywhere and found only some random dead ones in the kitchen but the rest seemed to have made it out, queen included. I do not recall the specific date of that event. No trails were witnessed, just ants that were not there.
I looked around inside and outside to no avail. I assume they made it outside. So that was the end for that story.

Now to the other colony...
Today the morning of August 15, I woke up to find the outworld that the first colony was given had no noticeable activity( which was strange) I peaked in the nest box to find very few ants, I peaked in the other box, there were some there but not enough. A hole that was kept plugged with a test tube/cap/tube setup had fallen out. They trailed down the stand they were on and on to the floor. They had trails leading to a few areas Some went behind the dishwasher and along that area, some went into the wall were the water heater is, and one other place. I went outside to look for any trails leaving the building.
I came across a trail in front of my neighbors apartment door. It started from a seem in the door casting and went along the back of her door mat and then went across the porch area into a seem in the cement. They did not like it apparently as they started back tracking. I believe this colony is now in the wall and am waiting for tonight to search more as they will be more active. This is ongoing... stay tuned
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:57 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice. I will be following this.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:19 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
I think Neviamyrmex are awesome ants too, will we get pictures eventually?
Either way I will be following this journal, the research of keeping army ants is so unstudied because you need a lot of room for them to do that along with their living style.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:35 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#5 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:48 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

#6 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 1:54 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

• Manitobant and ArmyAntz like this

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 15 2020 - 2:56 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Army ants in general are some of my dream ants. I do firmly believe that with some practice and trial and error we will be able to keep these guys permanently.

#8 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 4:06 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
I agree. However temporary captivity has proven relatively doable, and with proper care can be a fun experience. It also gives the colony a better chance at surviving. If I am able to recapture this batch then I will post more about them. I do not plan on keeping them long if I do.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 15 2020 - 4:17 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

These ants are likely very heavily dependent on a territory which they can recognize, I am not sure how long the colonies pheromone trails are going to last once the colony has been removed but the longer they are unable to renew the trails the less likely they are going to be able to reestablish themselves when released.

#10 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 4:57 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
As far as that goes we shall see. There territory is pretty localized, giving that it is in a city. In fact this is the only area outside of forests that I have witnessed them. So I would not imagine adjusting back into there environment would be that difficult. Colony size might be a bigger factor. This colony had larvae that were pupating, so and increase in numbers was coming soon. Again though not 100%

#11 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 15 2020 - 5:06 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Awesome videos!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#12 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 15 2020 - 5:51 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Thank you

#13 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 15 2020 - 8:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

I agree. However temporary captivity has proven relatively doable, and with proper care can be a fun experience. It also gives the colony a better chance at surviving. If I am able to recapture this batch then I will post more about them. I do not plan on keeping them long if I do.

what i think the community should do is start with temporary captivity and keep increasing the amount of time they are kept (by like a month per colony) until we feel like we are able to do it permanently.

#14 Offline Superant33 - Posted August 15 2020 - 10:28 PM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Universities and zoos have been unable to keep army ants in captivity. People in the ant keeping community haven’t either. I do agree that eventually someone will get it right (probably an institution with entomologist and $$$). The likely result for the rest of us is death to the colony.

#15 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 16 2020 - 4:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

As far as that goes we shall see. There territory is pretty localized, giving that it is in a city. In fact this is the only area outside of forests that I have witnessed them. So I would not imagine adjusting back into there environment would be that difficult. Colony size might be a bigger factor. This colony had larvae that were pupating, so and increase in numbers was coming soon. Again though not 100%

The territory that you could see.

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 16 2020 - 8:45 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Universities and zoos have been unable to keep army ants in captivity. People in the ant keeping community haven’t either. I do agree that eventually someone will get it right (probably an institution with entomologist and $$$). The likely result for the rest of us is death to the colony.

they're only trying eciton burchellii though, which i agree is probably impossible because of the huge colony size and swarm raids. Neivamyrmex on the other hand have much smaller colony sizes and are much more manageable.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#17 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 16 2020 - 9:19 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

The territory that you could see.
I have monitored neivamyrmex in this area for a while. I am very confident in what I have witnessed.

#18 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 17 2020 - 1:23 AM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Update- colony has been found. They were located on the side of the apartment building.
They were emigrating, unfortunately I must have got to it late as the queen never made an appearance. I did not witness the whole emigration though so I do not know if she appeared before I got there or after I left.
  • TennesseeAnts and VenomousBeast like this

#19 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted August 19 2020 - 7:23 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
I wonder if Neivamyrmex can be fed normal feeder insects... however they’d probably need a lot of space due to their behavior regardless.

:>

#20 Offline Squidkid - Posted August 20 2020 - 9:18 PM

Squidkid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

I wonder if Neivamyrmex can be fed normal feeder insects... however they’d probably need a lot of space due to their behavior regardless.

In the past I tried crikets, they were eaten. I would not recommend as that batch did not make it.
Ant brood and termites are part of there natural diet.
As far as space goes, I think it has more to do with "new areas". So cleaning out previously used areas and making them seem new might give them the feeling of a lot of ground covered, just an idea.
It is something I have thought of but could not implement due to the setup they were provided. I think distance might be a factor too (when in a nomadic phase)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users