• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

It would seem that I am in dire need of assistance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:02 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I haven't been able to come up with any outworlds for my two young Tetramorium colonies. Any tips on easily feeding them in the test tube?

#2 Offline Croux - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:14 PM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
If they're not swarming to get out, and you have some space, soak a small ball of cotton in your sugar water mixture. Pop it in at the entrance.

Protein is a bit harder.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:22 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I would say to try to push the cotton back into the tube super slowly, then pull it out and put the food in as quickly as possible. Reverse close tweezers are super helpful.
  • ANTdrew, TheMicroPlanet and Thunder_Birds like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:41 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Order a few of these as soon as you can:
https://www.containe...ductId=10032168

You’ll be able to get away with feeding them in a test tube for a few weeks. I like cutting little squares of paper towel to feed on. I put a drop of nectar and a piece of insect on the square. An easy way to renew their nectar is to insert a blunt tipped syringe past the cotton and putting a drop on the paper towel.
I second the reverse close tweezers, plus feathers come in handy for brushing workers away.
  • DJoseph98 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 13 2020 - 7:22 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

I honestly find it much faster and easier to put the insect directly inside, without a "plate".

• Temperateants likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#6 Offline SuperFrank - Posted August 13 2020 - 9:39 AM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Block off part of the tube using some Cotton and a straw as a door. The ants mostly stay in the "nest" part of the tube and you can use the front part to feed them. I do this with most of my founding colonies so feeding them is less of a pain
  • ANTdrew and TheMicroPlanet like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2020 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Block off part of the tube using some Cotton and a straw as a door. The ants mostly stay in the "nest" part of the tube and you can use the front part to feed them. I do this with most of my founding colonies so feeding them is less of a pain

That’s genius!
  • SuperFrank likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Temperateants - Posted August 13 2020 - 10:24 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I honestly find it much faster and easier to put the insect directly inside, without a "plate".

Yeah, healthy colonies that are growing clean off insect shells cleanly, and discard them at dry areas near the entrance. Unlike camponotous haha, ants that'll move their entire colony to the entrance of the tube instead of simply dragging the piece of insect to the dry entrance.

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I used a crimped up straw as a liquid feeder once. inserted under the cotton stopper, the part facing inwards was cut at an angle and folded so there was an extremely narrow crack in between the sides. Enough for liquid to be accessible but not enough for the ants to escape through it (Plus it was filled with liquid. They can't exactly get out through that.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users