• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts' Pheidole bicarinata Journal (Updated 8-30-2020) - First Nanitics of the Year!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 12 2020 - 1:37 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Update 8-12-2020

Hello everyone! This will be the journal where I document all of my Pheidole bicarinata colonies, although I currently only have one colony.

Pheidole bicarinata (3 queens):

To be honest, I had absolutely no hope for any of my P. bicarinata colonies as they were all seemingly infertile, and this colony seemed to be infertile as well. After quite a while, I checked back up on them and was very surprised to see nanitics! This colony is my very first colony of all my colonies to get workers, so it was pretty exciting to say the least! Right now they have four workers with a few more on the way. Two of the queens have very slight injuries, such as a missing part of a limb, or a deformed antennae, but they likely got these injuries when I mingled about 15 of them in a single collection container overnight.

IMG 7201
IMG 7202
IMG 7208

Edited by CatsnAnts, August 30 2020 - 3:33 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 3 others like this

Spoiler

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 12 2020 - 1:55 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Great pics as usual!

• CatsnAnts and Antkeeper014 like this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 12 2020 - 2:10 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent start. Pheidole are taking the forum by storm!
  • TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, Antkid12 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 12 2020 - 6:34 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Nice job! Mine are just now getting nanitics as well. My duo has between 10 and 15 pupae, no workers yet. My Ph. tysoni duo did end up with only a single queen, however. It would seem as though they, like Ph. bicarinata, are not polygynous. The surviving queen has 5 workers and a bunch of brood.

• CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#5 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 13 2020 - 2:26 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Nice job! Mine are just now getting nanitics as well. My duo has between 10 and 15 pupae, no workers yet. My Ph. tysoni duo did end up with only a single queen, however. It would seem as though they, like Ph. bicarinata, are not polygynous. The surviving queen has 5 workers and a bunch of brood.

Aww, I was actually hoping your P. tysoni duo would remain polygynous :(

Is it just me, or is P. bicarinata unnecessary stubborn to raise?
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 13 2020 - 2:38 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Is it just me, or is P. bicarinata unnecessary stubborn to raise?

It definitely seems to vary. I caught 8 queens this year, and so far 4 have gotten workers and the rest show no signs of being successful. I'll probably see if I can steal some pupae from my big colony to boost them with. I bet combining queens would've helped, but I didn't want to worry about separating them down the line.

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
In what way are you finding them stubborn? Mine moved super easily, eat every insect, and just keep growing.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 13 2020 - 7:45 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

In what way are you finding them stubborn? Mine moved super easily, eat every insect, and just keep growing.

I had so many queens this year and last year, and none of their eggs ever developed.

Spoiler

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 15 2020 - 4:48 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I’ve got a question:

Does anyone think that it would be possible that this species is not P. bicarinata, but rather P. dentata? I wouldn’t have questioned their species ID, but last night I found another Pheidole queen that is different from these queens, but also very similar. I was thinking the new queen I caught might have been P. dentata, but these queens also look like P. dentata. I will be posting an ID thread later today for the new queen.

Spoiler

#10 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 5:07 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Doesn't look like it.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 15 2020 - 6:53 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I’ve got a question:

Does anyone think that it would be possible that this species is not P. bicarinata, but rather P. dentata? I wouldn’t have questioned their species ID, but last night I found another Pheidole queen that is different from these queens, but also very similar. I was thinking the new queen I caught might have been P. dentata, but these queens also look like P. dentata. I will be posting an ID thread later today for the new queen.

No. These are definitely Ph. bicarinata.
  • CatsnAnts and Antkid12 like this

#12 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:05 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Doesn't look like it.

I’ve got a question:

No. These are definitely Ph. bicarinata.

Alright! Good to know!

I’m just about to post the ID thread for this other queen who may also be P. bicarinata, but seems different.

Spoiler

#13 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 20 2020 - 12:58 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
This colony is up to 8 workers currently, and I decided to make six test-tube-formicaria. This colony will be the first to use one, but it’s basically just grout and sand covering the floor of a small container, similar to a Nurb’s pencil box formicarium. Sorry, no macro shots:

• TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

Spoiler

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2020 - 1:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

That setup looks eerily similar to mine...

• CatsnAnts likes this

#15 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 20 2020 - 1:29 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

What containers did you use for yours? I just got mine at Walmart when I went school supplies shopping lol, figured they would work perfect since I’ll be needing some for all of my colonies.

Spoiler

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 20 2020 - 1:56 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

What containers did you use for yours? I just got mine at Walmart when I went school supplies shopping lol, figured they would work perfect since I’ll be needing some for all of my colonies.

Its the same container... lol

• CatsnAnts likes this

#17 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 30 2020 - 3:33 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Update 8-30-2020

Pheidole bicarinata (3 queens):

I'm shocked to say the least that all three queens are still alive. I guess we do actually have the polygynous variety around here, although I'm still no 100% convinced that these are P. bicarinata. They have over 10 workers now and what may be some major pupae/larvae? I can't tell with these crappy photos.

IMG 7387

Pheidole bicarinata (1 queen):

This queen was caught not too long ago, which is strange considering Pheidole shouldn't be flying this late in the year around here. She still only has eggs, and again, I'm not for certain that she is P. bicarinata despite her being ID'ed as that.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users