• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hidden's Antkeeping Journal

journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline HiddenAnts - Posted August 11 2020 - 8:19 PM

HiddenAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey all!

Started antkeeping in may, first colony was a 2 worker Camponotus Castaneus colony. Figured I would start a journal to document everything :).

8/12/20

C. Castaneus

My camponotus castaneus are really struggling, one of the workers of the colony died, now left back when I started with 2 workers. They seem to have eaten all of the brood on a drive back home from a fellow antkeeper that was watching them while I was vacationing in FL, and have only a few very small larvae. They seem to be deep into prepping for diapause, and their gasters are full of honey. Hope they make it through hibernation. I've ordered fruit fly culutres to provide a source of nitrogen and add some variety to the boiled chicken, egg yolk, and mealworms i've been feeding. A mini hearth for them is on the way, as i've heard they do better in more earthy formicaria. They were originally underfed before I got them, and this is their second year (with only 2 workers), so it's quite the project. Let me know if you have any tips

I bought 3 new colonies on Saturday (8/8), Formica Pallidefulva, Aphaenogaster Picea, and a Sp. of Pheidole. Formica have 8 workers and 4 pupae, large brood pile. Pheidole and Aphaenogaster both have larvae

Formica Pallidefulva

The formica have been incredibly active and interesting to watch, especially compared to my C. Castaneus (mostly active at night, and not very active at all), I fed them some honey when they first arrived, and attatched a new, clean tube with an AC portal due to their old tube being moldy. Using light and vibrations, I was able to get them to move and removed the old tube. I have a mini hearth ready for them, just waiting on some tubing to arrive to connect them to it. Will be neat to watch in the hearth... picture attached.   

image0.png

Aphaenogaster Picea & Pheidole

Both of these queens haven't changed, I checked on them today and will be checking on them weekly or biweekly until their first nanitics arrive.

Hope you found this somewhat interesting, i'll be updating here weekly/whenever something big happens. I'll be updating and posting more frequently on instagram (@hiddenants).

Thanks!

• AntsDakota, Antkid12 and TechAnt like this

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 11 2020 - 9:09 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Awesome, pallidefulva are one of my favorite Formica spp.

Edited by TechAnt, August 11 2020 - 9:35 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 12 2020 - 4:53 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice collection, I would love to see pictures of the Pheidole!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 12 2020 - 6:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Awesome, pallidefulva are one of my favorite Formica spp.

I agree. However C. castaneus is one of my favorite Camponotus

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users