• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Superfly's leptogenys elongata Black Morph colony journal.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Superfly_23 - Posted April 3 2022 - 1:07 PM

Superfly_23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The colony was caught March 20th in San Pedro, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. The original worker/brood to queen proportions where oddly low, with ~12 to 13 workers and a couple of eggs. At the time and as the time of posting there has been an extreme drought, which promptly lowered the leptogenys elongata populations immensely. I am unsure whether this colony is what remained of a larger one or if its a new young colony that split off. 

- The total moments after being caught using an aspirator, they were nesting under a limestone beside a tree

- Ergatogyne queen, notice the smaller petiole and overall thicker abdomen.

unknown.png?width=1006&height=879 - Workers being active foragers despite their low numbers.

unknown.png?width=1035&height=879

20220321_133551.jpg?width=786&height=879 - The setup, a plaster base covered with soil and a piece of brick for some climbing

I only managed to catch 6 workers and the queen because of their remarkable speed.

They've eaten many isopods to this day, eating over 4 the first days and being active foragers which is unusual for extracted Ponerines.

They reject any woodlice or termites and exclusively prey on pill bugs.

After about a dozen days, the eggs have hatched into larvae and the acclimation process appears to be almost 100% successful, with them actively hunting and foraging, as well as the queen laying more eggs and some eggs hatching and beginning to grow as larvae.

I believe the acclimation process was helped by the fact they were previously in terrible condition with next to no water or humidity. I will attempt to post some regular updates since this version of the species is exceptionally rare.

More pictures and video ( https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

• Mettcollsuss, Antkeeper01, azzaaazzzz00 and 1 other like this

#2 Offline Superfly_23 - Posted April 3 2022 - 1:08 PM

Superfly_23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The egatogyne pic didn't seem to load, so heres a link ( https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link )

Edited by Superfly_23, April 3 2022 - 1:09 PM.

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 3 2022 - 1:51 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Wow so awesome! Can’t wait to see these grow. Wishing this colony luck. I’ll definitely be following this.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted April 3 2022 - 2:17 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

Cool colony! I've never read a journal on these before

Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#5 Offline Superfly_23 - Posted April 3 2022 - 3:12 PM

Superfly_23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Cool colony! I've never read a journal on these before

They're hard to keep in captivity, test tubes don't really work with these guys. I'm glad I found a successful setup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users