• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How do you catch a paper wasp queen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:21 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

When do paper wasp queens fly? How do you differentiate them from workers? I could barely find any info online... 

thanks for any help! :)

• Kaelwizard likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I don’t know when or how to find them, but I think I have seen some and they are generally fatter than the average worker. Sorry if this doesn’t help you.

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:43 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

They fly in spring.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:51 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

They fly in spring.

Do any wasp queens fly now?

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 11 2020 - 11:54 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

They fly in spring.

I don't think so. 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 11 2020 - 2:10 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

They fly in spring.

I don't think so. 

Is it possible to catch the queens that have not yet started hibernation? I researched and found that the queens leave to hibernate in fall.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 13 2020 - 12:10 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I have seen them in late August before.

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 13 2020 - 2:52 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You have to understand the temperate paper wasp colony cycle first. Near the end of summer paper wasp colonies produce reproductives, fertile females and males. The social order of the colony itself begins to degenerate shortly after, and the colony dies out after a while. Males are docile and feed on nectar, their only purpose is to mate (like most eusocial insects) "Queens" of paper wasps can be found during late summer and fall, during which they don't do much other than fly around and eventually mate. They then find a place to hibernate and overwinter, the same time when all other paper wasps (males, older queens, workers) die out. It is possible to catch a queen int his time frame, after mating, but it's rather difficult to overwinter them in captivity. A much more ideal way of raising a wasp colony is to wait till early spring. When temperatures start rising, foundress paper wasps will exit hibernation and begin to feed on nectar (alongside foundress bumblebees.) They will find a suitable spot to make a nest, usually under some sort of structure in human inhabited areas, and begin to build a nest. All paper wasps found during this time period will be foundresses. You can catch a queen foraging/looking for a place to build a nest and get her to build one in captivity, or the easier method, transport a queen alongside her new nest and attach the nest to the enclosure you have built for them. Use an adhesive like glue or very strong tape. Make sure to avoid separation of the queen and nest. This is a very important thing to do, and as such it is desirable to collect a new nest after it has reached a large size. Then cup a small container to the nest, trapping the queen against it, and transport both to the new enclosure, attaching the nest artificially(with the queen still on it), and releasing the queen within the enclosure. It is also best to avoid collecting small nests in general, as it increases the chance of the queen simply abandoning it. be sure to use a very large container, as the colony will be very difficult to transport after some growth, and make sure the container you use has suitable attachments installed to provide water, food, and new nesting material (in the form of wood chips or cardboard) with minimal disturbance. Personally I prefer a completely sealed container with 2 tubes from the top reaching down to 2 dishes. One is for sugars and water, another is for live prey and nest material. For sugars and water, it is also possible to drill 2 small holes above the dish(es) and add the liquids via syringe.

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD, Swirlysnowflake and 2 others like this

#9 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 13 2020 - 6:59 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

You have to understand the temperate paper wasp colony cycle first. Near the end of summer paper wasp colonies produce reproductives, fertile females and males. The social order of the colony itself begins to degenerate shortly after, and the colony dies out after a while. Males are docile and feed on nectar, their only purpose is to mate (like most eusocial insects) "Queens" of paper wasps can be found during late summer and fall, during which they don't do much other than fly around and eventually mate. They then find a place to hibernate and overwinter, the same time when all other paper wasps (males, older queens, workers) die out. It is possible to catch a queen int his time frame, after mating, but it's rather difficult to overwinter them in captivity. A much more ideal way of raising a wasp colony is to wait till early spring. When temperatures start rising, foundress paper wasps will exit hibernation and begin to feed on nectar (alongside foundress bumblebees.) They will find a suitable spot to make a nest, usually under some sort of structure in human inhabited areas, and begin to build a nest. All paper wasps found during this time period will be foundresses. You can catch a queen foraging/looking for a place to build a nest and get her to build one in captivity, or the easier method, transport a queen alongside her new nest and attach the nest to the enclosure you have built for them. Use an adhesive like glue or very strong tape. Make sure to avoid separation of the queen and nest. This is a very important thing to do, and as such it is desirable to collect a new nest after it has reached a large size. Then cup a small container to the nest, trapping the queen against it, and transport both to the new enclosure, attaching the nest artificially(with the queen still on it), and releasing the queen within the enclosure. It is also best to avoid collecting small nests in general, as it increases the chance of the queen simply abandoning it. be sure to use a very large container, as the colony will be very difficult to transport after some growth, and make sure the container you use has suitable attachments installed to provide water, food, and new nesting material (in the form of wood chips or cardboard) with minimal disturbance. Personally I prefer a completely sealed container with 2 tubes from the top reaching down to 2 dishes. One is for sugars and water, another is for live prey and nest material. For sugars and water, it is also possible to drill 2 small holes above the dish(es) and add the liquids via syringe.

Thank you! I will keep all that in mind  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users