• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Homemade Liquid Feeder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 8 2020 - 5:07 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Any idea on how to make a liquid feeder using home supplies?

#2 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 8 2020 - 5:30 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Personally I have just been putting sugar water etc in a test tube with cotton XD I found it needed to be water down though otherwise it would harden on the cotton.

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 8 2020 - 5:42 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Personally I have just been putting sugar water etc in a test tube with cotton XD I found it needed to be water down though otherwise it would harden on the cotton.

I considered something like that, but i'm a bit concerned about frequent molding.

#4 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 8 2020 - 5:53 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Thankfully mine hasn't moulded yet, the area is pretty dry where I have it, but it  doesn't mean it won't happen. Hmm I'm not sure what else you can do but I'm curious to see other suggestions

#5 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 8 2020 - 5:58 PM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Something you might be able to do is use a very thin tubing that allows liquid to travel down, but with only enough pressure to form a bump of liquid at the end, but I think you might need to have it turnn up near the end incase the liquid is too fluid and starts running when surface tension is broken

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted August 9 2020 - 12:59 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Those small flasks usually have some paper sheet inside the cap, don't forget to remove that (it's a breeding ground for mold).

Edited by Serafine, August 9 2020 - 1:01 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 9 2020 - 2:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.formicul...r/?fromsearch=1

I’ve never had much luck making my own. ByFormica feeders are worth every nickel, in my opinion.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users