• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Adak's 'Pogonomyrmex's Progress' Updated 12/19/20: I'm Back

pogonomyrmex pogonomyrmex occidentalis antsdakota journal

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 25 2020 - 4:19 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The longest colony kept in captivity to my knowledge is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis for over 30 years. L. niger comes in second with 29 years.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 26 2020 - 3:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The longest colony kept in captivity to my knowledge is Pogonomyrmex occidentalis for over 30 years. L. niger comes in second with 29 years.

I’d love to read those “biographies” if they’re out there. I’ve seen the factoids in various sources, but I’d love real detail on how these queens lived all those years.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 26 2020 - 3:31 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Update?  Probably too soon, but it's worth asking. :)

I’ll try to make one later this afternoon.
  • ANTdrew and Devi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#24 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 26 2020 - 2:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Update #0002

Wednesday, August 26th, 2020

This colony had been exploding in population lately! I estimate at least 100 workers. Every time I open up the nest, workers come boiling out in a mad rage. Before they seemed terrified as they rushed out, but now they just look angry. The colony has definitely been behaving much more boldly and aggressively lately. I also fed them two mealworms, and they swarmed them, which they never used to do when I fed them insects. I'm seeing more workers in the outworld, and now they're using both chambers of their Palladium as brood chambers. In a couple months I'll have to move them.  %) The queen continues to produce brood, and the brood develops quickly, and into large, strong workers. I'm really excited about this colony in the coming season/year!

Pictures do a terrible job of displaying how large the colony actually is/looks (the video even doesn't completely display this), so I just posted a video for this update, and will likely continue to. Anyways, here is the video:

Video

Sorry for the poor camerawork, It's hard to get good lighting in a tubes 'n tubes style setup.

Additional Notes

No additional notes for this update.

Edited by AntsDakota, August 26 2020 - 3:51 PM.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota, Devi and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#25 Offline Devi - Posted August 26 2020 - 3:32 PM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Wow!  Thanks for the update!  :)

• AntsDakota likes this

#26 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted September 11 2020 - 3:33 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Mine are like that but they are a very small colony only nine workers and when I feed 6 come out looking so angry and threatening
  • AntsDakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 13 2020 - 1:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Update #0003

Sunday, September 13th, 2020

At this point this colony has most certainly passed the 100 worker mark. While I would go into a more lengthy description, I just decided that this time, I'll let you guys see for yourselves in This VIDEO. This video doesn't show it, yet the queen's most recent batch of eggs includes around 50 eggs, half the colony's current population. There's also at least 50 larvae and pupae in the nest currently.

(Excuse me moving the nest cover out of the outworld, as I was attempting to brush any workers off so they wouldn't scamper across my table and start exploring my house).

Edited by AntsDakota, September 13 2020 - 2:01 PM.

• ANTdrew, DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

#28 Offline Antkid12 - Posted September 13 2020 - 4:02 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Awesome!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#29 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 19 2020 - 7:24 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Update #0004

Saturday, September 19th, 2020

So I decided to move this colony into a THA Station I received a while back, as their Palladium was getting a little bit dirty. The colony would have also outgrown that nest in a month or two anyway, at the very most. I opened up their old nest, and moved the heating mat to their new nest, thus encouraging them to move into the new nest. All the brood was moved out within an hour, as they are extremely punctual when it comes to keeping their brood in the dark. Surprisingly the queen was actually one of the first to enter the new nest, although she is much more independent minded than most other queens I've kept. I also find it fascinating how workers will approach the callows and attempt to pick them up; the callows resist a little, but then curl up like they're pupae again and allow the workers to carry them over their heads to the new nest.  :lol: But anyways, moving them has also greatly improved the quality of the footage I take of them, as seen in this video:

https://imgur.com/H0e1L6v

This video is also the only time I got a good shot of the queen, so PLEASE WATCH.

FIhyWsN.jpg

36aNYGE.jpg

Additional Notes

No additional notes for this update.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and DDD101DDD like this

#30 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:13 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Update? 

We don’t talk about that

#31 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:23 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

yes!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#32 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:37 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

now?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#33 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:46 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

anytime soon.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#34 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted October 20 2020 - 10:57 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

has the youtube come out yet

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#35 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 22 2020 - 10:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I joined Team Pogonomyrmex yesterday. A colony Spazmops mailed to me arrived safe with a queen, two workers, and one larva.
  • TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#36 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 22 2020 - 10:38 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

yay!

We don’t talk about that

#37 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 22 2020 - 10:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Such cool ants. I really hope I can build up their numbers.

#38 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 22 2020 - 1:28 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Always keep these things seeds heat humidity and a tarheelants nest with them and they will explode in population so much that it’s just how they normally grow. Also always have nestmate.
I’d love to see a journal of them.
  • AntsDakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#39 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 24 2020 - 10:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My micro-colony has settled in to their mini-hearth. I was able to pull out the tubing leading to the foraging area, so they can climb easily. I’ve offered them a wide array of wildflower seeds (dandelion, hemp hearts, Rudbeckia, Penstemon, Oenothera, and Monarda) from my native plant garden and a mealworm piece.
My hope for the colony is still basically z e r o, though, until the queen lays more eggs.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#40 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 24 2020 - 10:39 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
If you give her seeds and a couple fruit flys expect eggs within the hour.
We don’t talk about that

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, antsdakota, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users