• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pseudomyrmex apache

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 27 2020 - 9:01 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Decided I might as well do a dedicated journal to this species, considering how finicky they are. Anyways, I found my second queen on the same track of railway as the first, although this time not being attacked. She spotted me and ran underneath the railroad tie, so I had to lie down and scrape away the rocks until I could aspirate her. I have her in a customized test tube, with a round of cork over the cotton plug to reduce humidity and preserve water, as well as a cork divider splitting the tube down the middle lengthwise to reduce chamber space. One of the chambers is blocked off from the front and only accessible by a hole in the divider wall, this is where I hope she founds, but either chamber is fine. Fed her some syrup, and so far she's nice and healthy. She's also unusually large, about 7-8 mm depending on how much food she's taken in, a full mm above usual. I'll introduce some wild workers today using sugar baits.

CSC_1013.JPG

Regurgitating an infrabuccal pellet.

CSC_1011.JPG

Her tube.

CSC_1070.JPG

• TennesseeAnts, Manitobant, DDD101DDD and 4 others like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 27 2020 - 11:20 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well worker introduction didn't go so well, all but one of the workers instantly attacked her and I ended up having to kill 2 of them. That leaves me with 3 angry workers and 1 docile worker, who I'm leaving with the queen to get used to. So far interaction between the 2 consists of jaws bared, cautious approach, relaxing of the body and jaws, antennation, some back and forth prodding, and then separation. Interestingly the queen seems more curious and often probes so fiercely she backs the worker into a corner and scares her off. As for the other three, I'll isolate them for a while to see if I can get them to shed their affinity to the mother colony.

• Solenoqueen, TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

#3 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted September 27 2020 - 5:21 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Hm... what about P. apache makes them able to be given workers from other colonies? If not, what was the intention behind trying it?

:>

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 28 2020 - 12:13 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hm... what about P. apache makes them able to be given workers from other colonies? If not, what was the intention behind trying it?

Well with my last doomed queen wild workers didn't show any aggression to her. Then again, they didn't show much of anything to her and just ignored her. I'm not sure what makes them able to accept foreign workers, but it's not really an unusual trait and you can get almost any ant to do it. In this case it was eventually successful, the one peaceful foreign worker now treats the queen like a member of her own colony and vice versa. Now to wait until the other workers are useable.

CSC_1195.JPG

• DDD101DDD and Wegmier like this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Well that didn't work very well. Found a disemboweled worker body attached to a clipped limb. At least it's a limb, not a severed antennae, head, or petiole.

CSC_1761.JPG

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:40 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Ouch.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 5 2020 - 2:44 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

that is too bad. we really do need some more research on some of these rarer species.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 21 2020 - 3:36 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No eggs yet, but I bound her tube to a potted manzanita sapling and she's definitely marked the tube as her home.

CSC_3495.JPG

• DDD101DDD likes this

#9 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 21 2020 - 4:14 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Why are you doing that?

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted October 21 2020 - 4:28 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Why are you doing that?

more natural living conditions, hoping it gets her to lay quicker.

#11 Offline wardkad2 - Posted December 17 2020 - 6:09 PM

wardkad2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
[mention]ponerinecat [/mention] how’s this project going? I’m hoping to collect some P. apache this year myself :]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users