• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts' Crematogaster sp. Journal (Updated 8-30-2020)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 1 2020 - 9:44 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Update 8-1-2020

This will be where I detail everything about this single Crematogaster queen that I have. Her species is currently unknown, but there are a few suspicions that she could be C. ashmeadi. Link to my photography tutorial since a few people asked https://www.formicul...ds/#entry157595.

Crematogaster sp. (1 queen):

This single queen has been producing a lot of brood, but it doesn't seem to be developing quite as fast as I had hoped. I can't even tell if she has larvae yet, or if those are all just eggs? Hopefully she'll make it to workers since I would really enjoy an ID on them.

IMG 7110
IMG 7108

Edited by CatsnAnts, August 30 2020 - 3:48 PM.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#2 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 8 2020 - 6:56 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Update 8-8-2020

I thought that this queen would never make it to workers with how long it took for her eggs to hatch, but lo and behold she already has some large larvae. I fed her some honey yesterday, and she really stocked up on it. I'm now looking forward to this colony a lot more for some reason.

IMG 7147

Here you can see her brood pile, sort of?
IMG 7158

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 8 2020 - 8:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have what I believe is a C. ashmeadi colony starting now, and they are go maddeningly slow compared to what I’m used to with C. cerasi. They have eight workers now a month after getting nanitics ( that would take cerasi like a week). FTA is the expert on these, so hopefully he can weigh in.
My only advice would be to keep these as hot as you can.
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 30 2020 - 3:47 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Update 8-30-2020

Pupae have finally formed! hopefully she will be getting her first workers soon so that I can get this long awaited ID.

IMG 7352

• DDD101DDD and Antkid12 like this

Spoiler

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 30 2020 - 4:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t wait!
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 30 2020 - 4:37 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

YAY!!!

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users