• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Regarding Lasius....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 6:36 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
My goal for this year is Lasius but if I do not find one which I probably won’t because their not common in south va, I will buy one of antdrew’s spare Lasius any type of Lasius is fine unless it’s parasitic. But how should I go about trying to find a Lasius queen?
We don’t talk about that

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 1 2020 - 6:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Lasius neoniger usually fly around Labor Day, so if you found any populations of the species they have a very predictable flight schedule. If the site is near you, then go as often as you can in the evenings around Labor Day to the area of the population, and you should catch the flights. L. americanus flies all throughout August and into September (but mostly in August), so their flights are more unpredictable and you're less likely to find them. If Lasius aren't common in your area, then those two species are your most likely candidates, although there is a chance you'll find some less common species, but doubtful.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 6:43 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Ok thank you I’m actually looking for neoniger, americanus, and brevicornis.
  • AntsDakota likes this
We don’t talk about that

#4 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted August 1 2020 - 7:37 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

L. americanus has been flying here for weeks already, so they've definitely been flying in Virginia. I believe that since Virginia is further south than here in Wisconsin, the L. neoniger would probably fly earlier too. The colonies here are just getting alates, so I bet yours will fly any day now.

Lasius flights typically occur late afternoon, 5-8PM. They'll fly when it's warm enough (probably over 80 Fahrenheit at least), and when there's not too much wind. L. neoniger and L. brevicornis prefer open areas, prairies or sometimes yards, while L. americanus is a woodland species, often nesting under rocks or in logs. When they fly, it is very noticable. Often dozens or hundreds of alates will climb to the top of surrounding vegetation and begin to take flight. 

Good luck

• AntsDakota likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 1 2020 - 7:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Often dozens or hundreds of alates will climb to the top of surrounding vegetation and begin to take flight. 

Thousands, even.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2020 - 7:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ve found hundreds of queens now from every common species and several uncommon ones, but I’ve only ever seen ONE L. neoniger. I don’t know what the heck it is because these are really common in every picnic area around me. Maybe 2020 will be different?
  • AnthonyP163 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 9:22 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Wait antdrew have you found any non parasitic Lasius other than neoniger?
We don’t talk about that

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 1 2020 - 9:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, my friend, just 5,561 parasites.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted August 1 2020 - 10:26 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Wow do you think that if you found a Lasius interjectus queen again you could start an colony with her own eggs?
We don’t talk about that

#10 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2020 - 1:46 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Wow do you think that if you found a Lasius interjectus queen again you could start an colony with her own eggs?
Um... social parasites cannot start their own colonies.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 2 2020 - 1:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hyperbole, wizard.

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 3 2020 - 9:22 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Hyperbole, wizard.
I wasn’t talking about what you said. Kit asked if a L. interjectus queen could lay their own eggs to start a colony. (Also I think you should be saying “Hyperbole, Kit” I knew you were exaggerating).

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 3 2020 - 9:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My bad.

#14 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 3 2020 - 11:45 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I’ve only ever seen ONE L. neoniger. I don’t know what the heck it is because these are really common in every picnic area around me. Maybe 2020 will be different?

Same, its kind of weird. 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 3 2020 - 12:13 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hyperbole, wizard.
I wasn’t talking about what you said. Kit asked if a L. interjectus queen could lay their own eggs to start a colony. (Also I think you should be saying “Hyperbole, Kit” I knew you were exaggerating).

Never completely understood everything everyone said, so Ill just stay out of this one.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users