• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fatatoille's lasius niger and flavus journal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Fatatoille - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:10 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

Beginning - 31/07/2020

We recently had some nuptial flights where both lasius niger and flavus flew on the self same day and I  managed to catch a few, 13 lasius niger queens and 3 flavus queens which I have put into test tubes. They are now in a dark cupboard where they will remain for the next month. I look forward to seeing the progress made when I check next week. But for now the answer shall remain unknown on how they are doing.

testubes

Edited by Fatatoille, August 1 2020 - 7:06 AM.

• Wegmier likes this

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

#2 Offline Fatatoille - Posted August 11 2020 - 1:23 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

quick update - 11/08/2020

Unfortunately there won't be any pictures for this one  as i don't want to cause ethe queens to eat their brood.

After checking the queens yesterday, both now have a sizeable brood pile with about all queens having at least one larvae and a few queens having medium and large larvae. However, about 3 of the test tubes have broke out in mold, but the queens residing in them are fine, I will be changing their test tube when the nanitics arrive so hopefully they will be fine until then.

#3 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 11 2020 - 9:35 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Cool!
  • Fatatoille likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#4 Offline Fatatoille - Posted August 25 2020 - 2:10 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

quick update - 25/08/2020

just did a quick weekly checkup and the first cocoons have appeared!  :yahoo:

the most cocoons in a single test tube currently is 4 but most of the lasius niger and flavus queens have at least one cocoon, though if i had checked in greater detail there may have also been some naked pupae as most of the brood piles in the queens test tubes are pretty sizeable now, two or so more weeks of waiting to go.

• ANTdrew and Wegmier like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 25 2020 - 2:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s fANTastic!
  • Fatatoille likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Fatatoille - Posted October 26 2020 - 6:34 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

quick prehibernation update

Most queens now have workers and have been doing quite well for the short time they have been active, with the largest colony having ~15 workers, heres a picture of the largest niger colony drinking some honey.

honeh

These colonies have now been put into the garage for hibernation with clean test tubes, so hopefully they will have huge booms in population in the year to come! on final notes, there was another flavus and niger flight and i managed to get a duo pleo colony of nigers and a trio colony of flavus, so they will be mentioned as well in future updates.

• ANTdrew, TechAnt, KitsAntVa and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users