• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kind of glue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 30 2020 - 8:30 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys,
I was wondering what kind of glue is safe for ants. I’m trying to make something that goes directly in the formicarium that requires glue. What kind does tar heel ants use?? Or would just super glue or hot glue work?? Thanks

In Jesus,
Jonny
In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 30 2020 - 8:37 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Elmer's is completely safe, and I think hot glue would be perfect. I think most glues would be safe as long as they have adequate time to dry and there are no more fumes present when the ants move in. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:00 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Thank you so much!
In Jesus,
Jonny

#4 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted July 30 2020 - 11:40 AM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I use thin Cyanoacrylate glue which is definitely toxic when a liquid, but I haven't had any problems with it when its cured. Its just thin super glue. Hot glue is safer but less strong usually.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Keep in mind that ants have no problem chewing through hot glue. Learned that the hard way. Lol
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:09 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

hot glue isn't the best for ants, falls apart after a while and isn't very resistant to wear and tear.

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:31 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Aquarium silicone works very well, just make sure they can't chew it.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#8 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 31 2020 - 5:49 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Thank you all so much!
In Jesus,
Jonny

0 user(s) are reading this topic