• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

System to water nest

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:07 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys,
I need some ideas of how to add a watering system for my nests. I want to hide it all I can in that I don’t want to be able to see the watering chamber if possible. Kind of a hidden idea. Can I add a tube that goes to a small piece of rag for water retention? Any ideas are appreciated. It’s grout and I’m going to add vermiculite to make it better at absorbing water Lord Willing on the next batch of nests. I’m trying to make it where it doesn’t dry out so bad, so ideas on a water chamber is what I’m looking for. Go for it and tell me your ideas.

In Jesus,
Jonny

Attached Images

• 7F101B6F-DF4F-4567-AE1D-9AD1301DB7DA.jpeg

In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:14 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You could either copy THA water towers or do this: https://www.formicul...nced-hydration/

Crystals’ design would be less visible if that is what you’re after.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:21 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

You could either copy THA water towers or do this: https://www.formicul...nced-hydration/
Crystals’ design would be less visible if that is what you’re after.

I’ve always wondered, with the THA water towers, do you need to still moisturize the nest or does that kinda do it for you??
In Jesus,
Jonny

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:58 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Evaporation from the water tower keeps humidity levels high. Ants still need access to drinking water, though.
What species are you building for? That will influence how humid it needs to be. Many species can survive with just drinking water (Crematogaster, some Camponotus, etc.).
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#5 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 28 2020 - 5:26 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Evaporation from the water tower keeps humidity levels high. Ants still need access to drinking water, though.
What species are you building for? That will influence how humid it needs to be. Many species can survive with just drinking water (Crematogaster, some Camponotus, etc.).

Well, I’m Wanting to make a good “all around” nest. I have Tetramorium queens, Formica, aphaenogaster, etc. I’ve found a lot of queen this year haha. I’m wanting to make some founding nests and some regular nest for when they get bigger. So I’m reality, the nest doesn’t have to be moist as long as the humidity is high??
In Jesus,
Jonny

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2020 - 5:44 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,430 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
No, it doesn’t have to be literally wet as long as ants have access to drinking water. Insects are incredibly economical with their water use.
I say just stick to good ol’ fashioned test tubes for founding queens. It’s very, very hard to improve on that set up. Focus your DIY efforts for later nests.

#7 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:46 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

No, it doesn’t have to be literally wet as long as ants have access to drinking water. Insects are incredibly economical with their water use.
I say just stick to good ol’ fashioned test tubes for founding queens. It’s very, very hard to improve on that set up. Focus your DIY efforts for later nests.

Wow. I didn’t know that. I thought you had to hostage the actual nest and not just humidify! Thank you so much!
In Jesus,
Jonny

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:55 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If you have ants that are fairly dry-resistant (like Camponotus) you can go the easy way and just at a piece of tubing to attach a water tube. The presence of the tube is enough to increase humidity in the nest (especially if it's a small nest) and if they need it really moist they can just carry the brood into the tube. It's also easy to replace and a tube usually lasts for anything between 6-10 months which makes watering the nest pretty much a non-issue.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users