• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

That time you lost a queen.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 28 2020 - 5:52 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
This is about sharing the most disappointing thing ever- when you lose the queen you are trying to catch! (and never find it again) I'll start it off:

Today, I found my first Leptothorax queen ever, but-don't forget the but- it fell of the container into wood chips, and with it being so small it was impossible to find.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 29 2020 - 3:05 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:10 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

I just found a Monomorium minimum queen crawling on my door earlier. First time I'd ever seen a Monomorium queen, and I put a tube beneath her and she fell down. Ran into a crack between the wall and my door and was never seen again.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Not ants, but I caught several Recticulitermes flavipes termite alates this summer. I set their vial on top my hot car for like 15 seconds while loading up my kids, but that was enough to bake them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Spazmops - Posted July 28 2020 - 6:43 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Never lost a queen while catching, but one of my lasius queens escaped the other day through a gap in the cotton

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 29 2020 - 4:43 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Lost a Strumigenys queen. I accidentally killed her while trying to but her in the tube.  :*(

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:41 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Well, though I didn't actually lose her, I ALMOST lost my current Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen. I found her scaling a tree in my backyard, so I had to climb to get her (I was quite determined...). So I got out my snapcap vile and try to catch her, then boom; one small mistake sends her falling to the ground from about a meter 1/2 up. She was fine, of course, and I very well could've lost her. Luckily though, I DID catch her and she's got pupae and is expecting nanitics this very day!

#7 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:45 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Caught a Pheidole sp. queen and was trying to put her in a test in my garage and dropped the queen… never found it.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#8 Offline Devi - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:50 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Lets see... I guess this kind of counts.  I was looking for ants by peeling away bark from a rotted tree and after a lot of bark-peeling, I found a Camponotus!  I got really excited and bent down to collect her, and that's when I realized she was already dead. :(  Hey, at least she wasn't alive and I crushed her or something, that would make me even more upset. lol

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 29 2020 - 7:58 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Drowned a crippled pseudomyrmex queen in a drop of dew after rescuing her from a liom luctuosum trail :lol:

• CatsnAnts likes this

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 29 2020 - 10:37 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I have a few stories

Dropped a test tube on a formica subsericea queen, crushing her

Decapitated a leptothorax canadensis queen while trying to put a test tube over her

Slapped a temnothorax ambiguus queen after she landed on my arm and i thought she was a mosquito

Crushed a physogastric brachymyrmex depilis queen's gaster after picking her up

that's what i can remember off of the top of my head, but there is probably many more incidents

Edited by Manitobant, July 29 2020 - 10:38 AM.

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 29 2020 - 10:45 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I mean I've "accidentally" smeared a lot of Linepithema queens. May or may not have been intentional, sometimes your foot just repeatedly slips, you know?

• Manitobant likes this

#12 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted July 29 2020 - 11:45 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania

Back when I lived in Texas, I lost an Atta queen due to her loosing all her fungus. Those rookie mistakes :lol: I do have a journal on them though! (Physical journal, not on here.)

• Antkid12 likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#13 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted August 3 2020 - 1:10 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Oh man, reading these is painful!

The first queen I saw in this area was one who just landed on my windshield at a red light.

I would've had time to open the door, grab the queen ... but nowhere to put her.

While I waffled the traffic light turned green.

:facepalm:

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, August 3 2020 - 1:16 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#14 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 3 2020 - 1:27 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Oh man, reading these is painful!

The first queen I saw in this area was one who just landed on my windshield at a red light.

I would've had time to open the door, grab the queen ... but nowhere to put her.

While I waffled the traffic light turned green.

:facepalm:

Do you know what species it was?

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 3 2020 - 1:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

For me it was a, queen that got away, it was my stupidity in releasing them. I caught 2 Formica aserva queens, and saw many more that I did not collect. I looked for hosts, but didn't find any, and then, then, as I couldn't find hosts I release them. The next day I find hosts. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline Spazmops - Posted August 3 2020 - 3:19 PM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Ouch...

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#17 Offline zantezaint - Posted August 3 2020 - 3:24 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

I messed up big time. I lost a Linepithema humile queen. It scurried into my keyboard in the garage. I can't find it now, but, if it does escape into the wild and takes over, god have mercy on my soul.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#18 Offline LiMike - Posted August 5 2020 - 6:45 PM

LiMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew York

I was out on my Harley when I passed by a local park That I usually go to hunt for queens. My family was out for the day so I had a couple of hours to kill. I figured why not stop and look for some queens. I always have 2 test tubes on me so I'm ready!! After about 5 minutes I came across a beautiful Camponotus Americanus. I was very surprised and excited!! I got her into the test tube and put her right into my front pocket. There are a lot of familys playing with their kids and walking their dogs and what not. I didn't want to look like some drug guy getting off his harley walking around the park with a vial in his hand so into the pocket it goes LOL People always ask me if I lost something when I am looking and when I explain that I'm actually looking for queen ants they give a look LOL anyway I kept looking for about 20 more minutes and when I got back to my bike I took out the test tube and the cotton must have fallen off when I was bending down ( she was gone) in my pants no less LOL anyway, I never seen her again. I'm just glad I didn't find her squashed in my pocket. 

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users