• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Solenopsis xyloni Journal(DISCONTINUED)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2020 - 9:17 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I collected three Solenopsis xyloni queens a couple weeks ago. Only one queen ended up being fertile, and now has a few small larvae. As you may know, I'm not the biggest fan of this species, and because they are fast
growing, they will be my new test subjects. If they get too big, I will
release them(NO DEBATES HERE PLEASE!!!). Pictures will come within five minutes. I promise this time.

Edited by NickAnter, November 30 2020 - 1:42 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 16 2020 - 9:51 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 16 2020 - 10:13 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

(NO DEBATES HERE PLEASE!!!).

This should be put on every single topic on this forum, just as a safeguard.  :lol:

• NickAnter, Froggy and Antkeeper01 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 1:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
She has two workers now, and over a hundred eggs. Here is a picture.

Edited by NickAnter, August 6 2020 - 1:50 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and 3 others like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 1:41 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

These were frozen. I kind of negelected them, and they had a mold outbreak, and I didn't want to move them, and get stung. They were always rather boring, and didn't show the explosive growth they are known for. Next year, when they fly, I will sell a bunch. A lot of people seem to want them for some reason. They are still in the freezer, and will stay there, for preservation purposes.

#6 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 30 2020 - 2:20 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

These were frozen. I kind of negelected them, and they had a mold outbreak, and I didn't want to move them, and get stung. They were always rather boring, and didn't show the explosive growth they are known for. Next year, when they fly, I will sell a bunch. A lot of people seem to want them for some reason. They are still in the freezer, and will stay there, for preservation purposes.

:*(

• WSantkeeper likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 2:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

:kill:

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 20 2021 - 9:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have another queen, and one with larvae, however, I have decided to discontinue this journal, and place updates on my general Solenopsis journal. Less clogging up of the forum that way.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline antsandmore - Posted July 20 2021 - 9:46 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

cool. I caught a few of these on sunday, and I hope they do well.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users