• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camera Lens for “Canon EOS Rebel XSI” (for taking ant photos - I’m not very knowledgeable about cameras)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 16 2020 - 7:00 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Exactly what the title says. I recently discovered that my mom actually has pretty nice camera (to me, anyways), that she doesn’t use anymore. I’ve been doing a lot of research on how to use it and what-not, but finding a macro lens that would:
A. Be compatible with this camera, and
B. Be able to take photos of ants
- is extremely confusing. I’ll just admit that I have no idea what I’m looking for, so if anyone knows a good lens I could get for taking macro ant shots, please share! Thank you! Here’s the camera:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#2 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 16 2020 - 7:41 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I believe that https://www.usa.cano...f-2-8-macro-usm (I don't know how to make links shorter) and https://www.usa.cano...-8-macro-is-stm should work. Any lens with a EF-S mount should work and these are listed as macro on the canon website. Since lens are very expensive, I always just reversed the lens (https://digital-phot...r another lens.), but you can also buy extension tubes which move the lens farther away from the camera. Both options will only cost you less than $50. Macro lenses will have better quality and be easier to use, but are way more expensive. I would suggest doing your own research because I probably got something wrong.  Also could someone tell me how to make links look like text?

• CatsnAnts likes this

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 16 2020 - 7:55 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Thank you! I’m wondering if those lenses will be powerful enough to capture such tiny ants as Strumigenys?

Spoiler

#4 Offline Dry_Twig - Posted July 16 2020 - 8:15 AM

Dry_Twig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

The more expensive one says it can get 1:1 (1mm in real life is 1mm on the sensor) magnification, which should work. The second one also should work. For reversed lenses, the shorter the focal length, the more magnification, so depending on. I had the same lens you have and it was almost unusable at its shortest focal length because it was so high magnification. You can try it right now, just detach the lense and hold it reversed with your hand and move the whole camera closer to any object until it comes into focus. Not sure about extension tubes, though.  

• CatsnAnts likes this

My ants: One small(0 worker) Solenopsis xyloni colony- Queen Colony died  :*( 

Link: https://www.formiculture.com/topic/14139-dry-twigs-solenopsis-sp-journal/

Spoiler

#5 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 16 2020 - 8:52 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Extension tubes work good. I use them at least. A dedicated macro lens is very expensive.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 16 2020 - 10:08 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I think I will be using some extension tubes to start off with, they appear to work pretty well for what I need them for.

Spoiler

#7 Offline Domagoj - Posted July 16 2020 - 12:00 PM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

I have Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro, and it's an awesome lens. I also have extension tubes. That combination is extremely powerful and can take some very nice magnifications. The main difference (apart from the price tag) between 100 mm and its wider cousins is the distance from the lens that will give you the 1:1 magnification (all Canon Macro lenses can do it). With wider lenses you need to come closer to the subject.

That being said, I'm still struggling with decent photos of ants. My problem is that they don't like light, and you need light to take photos. So ants walk around try to hide etc. It is not easy to keep track of them when your view field is so narrow and depth of focus paper thin, as it is with this setup. If ant is in a test tube or other container, you get distortions from the plastic/glass, or there is dirt in the way.

Also, when you start playing with high magnifications, you need lots of light, especially if you close down the iris to get some depth of focus. Decent lighting is also a good way to reduce the problems with glare from test tubes and glass, but this is not something I can help with much since I too am still figuring this one out. I loaned my speedlight so I'm struggling a bit with continuous lights. Theory say that a light box should be helpful, but I can't find mine.

Long story short, if you're in the market for a Canon marcro lens, I'd advise you buy the longest one you can afford. For extension tubes, do not cheap out and buy the dumb ones. Get the ones with electrical connectors for autofocus and, more importantly, iris control, they are certainly worth the extra $5.

• CatsnAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users