• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

8NIN8’s Formica subsericea Journal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 19 2021 - 6:05 AM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
3/18/21 Today I received my first ant — Formica subsericea — colony from Tar Heel Ants. Queen and 8-10 (?) workers. We’ve had bad weather this week so shipment was delayed; I was concerned about the colony sitting in a warehouse, but they seem fine. I can’t see any brood and it’s hard to see the ants bc they came in a Genesis covered insert inside the test tube. The test tube was packaged in PVC pipe, which I’ve kept the test tube in for the darkness and privacy. I also received THA Fortress, which I have to say is beautifully made - much nicer than I even expected. I’m impressed by THA’s customer service. My macro lens doesn’t seem to be working, but I’ll take photos when I figure out what’s wrong.

3/19/21 I couldn’t resist and had to look at the colony this morning. When I took the test tube out into fairly bright light, four workers came out from the covered area and then the queen. Seems like they were curious (or maybe aggravated??). So far, they haven’t seemed too skittish. I’m considering putting the Genesis insert (no tube) in the outworld so they can move from the insert to the nest whenever they want. I’m wondering if it’s too early to do that with such a small colony.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 19 2021 - 6:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Good luck with the colony. Be patient with them and keep disturbances to a minimum. A Fortress may be a bit big at this point. I'd advise putting their tube in a smaller foraging container, or getting a mini-hearth for them.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 19 2021 - 6:52 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Yeah. They also don't grow very fast. It takes a few weeks for an egg to turn into a worker.

But they are very fun to keep.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 19 2021 - 6:55 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah. They also don't grow very fast. It takes a few weeks for an egg to turn into a worker.

It’s about five weeks at optimum temperatures, but I’ve seen as fast as four weeks.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted March 19 2021 - 7:01 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

they aren't as quick as pheidole but they are faster then camponotus.

#6 Offline MsTesaAnt - Posted March 19 2021 - 7:31 AM

MsTesaAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Good luck on you journey!

• 8NIN8 likes this

#7 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 19 2021 - 8:14 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I have one of those inserts. They're neat but my goodness .. I wanna see inside better! Lol

Edited by Lillyrose, March 19 2021 - 8:15 AM.

• 8NIN8 likes this

#8 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 19 2021 - 8:31 AM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Good luck with the colony. Be patient with them and keep disturbances to a minimum. A Fortress may be a bit big at this point. I'd advise putting their tube in a smaller foraging container, or getting a mini-hearth for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 19 2021 - 8:33 AM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thank you - that’s a great idea!

#10 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 19 2021 - 8:35 AM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thank you - I look forward to it all!

#11 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 23 2021 - 4:26 PM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
3/23/21 A few days ago I had 10 workers, today 11. The newest one is very tiny. When I opened the outworld to feed them, the queen and all workers came out from under the insert cover. One of them was carrying the newest, tiniest ant. I gave them a very small bit of tuna and the queen was the first to begin eating. They all devoured it today!

#12 Offline Lillyrose - Posted March 23 2021 - 4:43 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Tuna? I haven't thought of tuna... good idea!

Will mercury levels bother ants?

#13 Offline 8NIN8 - Posted March 24 2021 - 9:41 AM

8NIN8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Tuna? I haven't thought of tuna... good idea!

Will mercury levels bother ants?

I hope not! I didn’t think of that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users