• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Manitobant’s dulotic harpagoxenus canadensis journal (discontinued)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 15 2020 - 4:53 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
today i received an extremely rare harpagoxenus canadensis colony from a friend who found them here in manitoba, a province they haven't been recorded from previously. the colony consists of a queen, 3 slave making workers, 15 leptothorax canadensis slaves and mixed brood of both species. the colony doesn't quite have enough workers for me to let them raid yet (don't want them getting killed by the target colony workers) but they should soon enough.

The queen surrounded by slaves

Harpagoxenus canadensis queen

A worker

Harpagoxenus canadensis worker

Edited by Manitobant, March 25 2021 - 1:35 PM.

• CatsnAnts, Somethinghmm, Antennal_Scrobe and 2 others like this

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 15 2020 - 6:11 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wonderful! The Ants describes their behavior in detail, was very fun to read about. I'd assume it'll be even more fun to watch!

• CatsnAnts likes this

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 16 2020 - 5:36 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That is the least queen-looking queen I've ever seen.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 16 2020 - 5:59 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I concur.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 16 2020 - 8:14 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I concur.

Ergatoid gynes, anyone?

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 16 2020 - 8:56 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

She's definitely an alate queen. Although harpagoxenus does have ergatoids, you can see wing scars on this one.

Harpagoxenus wing scars

Edited by Manitobant, July 16 2020 - 9:01 AM.

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 16 2020 - 9:14 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I think he was trying to say that ergatoids are less queen looking than that queen.

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 16 2020 - 3:31 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

I think he was trying to say that ergatoids are less queen looking than that queen.

i mean she is also a social parasite so she doesn't look very queen like to begin with

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 16 2020 - 4:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

i mean she is also a social parasite so she doesn't look very queen like to begin with

Well, to me she looks more like a worker than a queen. Most common social parasites actually do look like queens imo.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted January 14 2021 - 3:41 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts
Update January 14th, 2021

The colony was taken out of hibernation on the 28th of December. They lost quite a few workers, including all the parasite ones. Luckily they have a bunch of large larvae and pupae which should eclose soon. They have also been moved into a Tar Heel Ants atom nest, and the queen is quite physogastric.

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 25 2021 - 1:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Update?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted March 25 2021 - 1:31 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Update?

Dead. the colony slowly fizzled out after hibernation, with worker deaths occuring almost every week. Eventually, only the queen and a dulotic worker were left, and me or my friend didn’t have any leptothorax hosts, so i decided to re hibernate them in the very slim chance that they would survive until spring. Sadly, they didn’t and i found the queen dead about a week ago while taking out some lasius claviger queens for experiments. I do hope to try these again, and hopefully get a larger colony. The colony was very young when they were caught, with the queen just having got her nanitics. I do plan to go to that spot with my friend, so this journal will probably come back in due time.

Edited by Manitobant, March 25 2021 - 1:31 PM.

#13 Offline NickAnter - Posted March 25 2021 - 2:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

:boohoo:

May they rest in peace.

:boohoo:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users