• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Feeding ants to frogs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline SuperFrank - Posted July 17 2020 - 1:37 PM

SuperFrank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA
Most dart frogs are specialize in eating ants and other small arthropods. In fact they gain many of the toxic compounds found within their skin from these arthropods. Captive raised specimens are not poisonous and even wild caught specimens will lose their toxicity over time.

In captivity frogs are usually fed flightless fruit flies almost exclusively. However I have been giving my frogs ant queens and workers in small numbers for the last year or so. Until now I have never given them an entire colony but decided to see how they would fair against a Pheidole dentata colony.

P dentata is aggressive and quick to dispatch majors to a food source/threat ime. They also tend to swarm prey items and as I was somewhat nervous and watching intently the entire time.

However the frogs showed they are natural predators of ants swiftly dispatching the entire colony, they also rapidly learned that ants represented a food source as well as a threat to them, they also learned to be more cautious of the majors.

I would be interested in seeing if after enough feedings with a large enough variety of ants if my group would produce any sort of toxin. This species is thought to produce epibatidine, an analgesic of some medical interest. But whether or not E tricolor actually produces this compound is contested.

Either way ima feed em lossa ants. Just gave them a bunch of T bicarinatum* and they loved it.

Edited by SuperFrank, July 17 2020 - 1:51 PM.

• AntsMaryland, ANTdrew and OhNoNotAgain like this

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 17 2020 - 1:45 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Nice. Now I'm wondering about getting frogs to help clean up my ant overpopulation :lol: . But I do think I hear Pheidole fans screaming somewhere....

Hope you get some females soon!

• AntsMaryland likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users