• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Morning Haul

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:32 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Soooo...I decided to get to the pool early this morning to see what was there. Last night must have been a highly ant-ticipated event given the number of queens I picked up. The jars with cotton on the top have 2 Pheidoles (I think) each bc I ran out of test tubes, vials, or any other small containers. Most of the white lids have what I think are Brachyrmex (so only 1 queen per vial bc they don’t get along so well, or so I have read). The Petri dishes contain the ICU ants that may already be dead (but ants from the pool have surprised me before). All in all, it looks like 38 large Pheidole, 18 Brachymyrmex patagonicus (?), 17 of lord knows what genus, and 1 camponotus (in ICU).

Attached Images

• 7E45CF7B-FD17-492D-A56A-3779A39E3E63.jpeg

Edited by RelientUKDr, July 8 2020 - 8:33 AM.

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:36 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Wow. Nice haul  (y)

I actually have two Formica queens that I saved from the pool. They were still very much alive when I caught them, however.

• RelientUKDr likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2020 - 9:20 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Brachymyrmex are highly polygonous.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 8 2020 - 9:27 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yes, they are. Were you (ReliantUKDr) thinking of another genus?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted July 8 2020 - 9:49 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

you basically have a giant pitfall trap in your backyard, lol!

#6 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 8 2020 - 10:11 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Interesting...I was reading about B. patagonicus on the UF entomology site and they state polygyny hasn’t been observed in the wild and high levels of inter colony aggression. Do you think it would be ok to combine a few?

http://entnemdept.uf...k_rover_ant.htm

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2020 - 12:48 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Interesting...I was reading about B. patagonicus on the UF entomology site and they state polygyny hasn’t been observed in the wild and high levels of inter colony aggression. Do you think it would be ok to combine a few?

http://entnemdept.uf...k_rover_ant.htm

A member by the name of Ender Ants has groups of up to 19 queens. Based on his journals they seem to progress faster in smaller groups like groups of 3. Some of the small groups had workers or pupae while the group of 19 had eggs and larvae. I suggest combining a few. Also, that website does state that in laboratory conditions they will form polygonous colonies. And as I stated, it does work in normal captive environments as well.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 8 2020 - 12:50 PM.

• Manitobant and AntsDakota like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users