• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jacksonville, FL USA July 8, 2020 - Queen ID #P6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 9 2020 - 10:35 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I looked her up on several sites (antweb, antmaps) and my best guess is Tetramorium (but she's probably Pheidole, bc when in doubt, it always ends up being Pheidole)...am I close?

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Jacksonville, FL
2. Date of collection: July 8, 2020
3. Habitat of collection: urban, found in pool appr 8am
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: darkish brown, almost black, with lighter tan legs; head highly textured
6. Distinguishing characteristics: petiole and post-petiole with spines on posterior mesosoma; possibly club antennae with 2 segments
7. Distinguishing behavior: pretty chill, she had both wings when I caught her yesterday, but now they have shed and she is hanging out near the drier side of the cotton
8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: N/A

Thank you all!!!

Attached Images

• IMG_5909.jpeg
  • IMG_5911.jpeg
  • IMG_5913.jpeg
  • IMG_5923.jpeg

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 9 2020 - 11:44 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Almost certainly Pheidole navigans, but maybe a little bit lighter colored than usual. They typically look entirely black but I've seen some queens that look a little more reddish like this one.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 12:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Tetramorium immigrans are almost black and much bigger than this.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users