• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is breathing in PTFE for too long bad for you?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 7 2020 - 11:13 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

I've been working closely over my Tetramorium Immigrans colony for a while with a heavy waft  of PTFE smell. I feel like I get kind of a headache when I breathe it in for too long. Are there any actual health problems associated with breathing that stuff in? I imagine it's not great, but it could be harmless idk. If it is bad to breathe in, I do have an N95 mask that blocks it out very well—just wondering though.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted July 7 2020 - 11:44 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

According to the msds on fishersci.com
"Avoid breathing vapors or mist"
"Ensure adequate ventilation"
"Thermal decomposition can lead to release of irritating gases and vapors. Carbon monoxide(CO). Carbon dioxide(CO2). Gaseous hydrogen fluoride (HF)."

Under first-aid measures for inhalation it says "Remove from exposure, lie down. Remove to fresh air."

With that said it can't be that bad because it also says "This chemical is not considered hazardous by the 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200)"

Edited by Skwiggledork, July 7 2020 - 11:45 PM.

• TKD102 and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#3 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 8 2020 - 9:19 AM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Thanks that sounds good. I'll be sure to provide some ventilation for it. Glad it's not too bad.  :)

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users