• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antkid's ants!(updated 18/09/2020)

pheidole dentata camponotus nearcticus antkid12 tapinoma sessile ant journal solenopsis tetramorium

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2020 - 3:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The Myrmentoma queens sure are feisty! My subbs do the same thing, which is why I gave them an outworld.

How are your subbarbatus?
They have five nanitics and a few more cocoons to eclose. They’re not doing a whole lot, really.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#22 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 15 2020 - 5:07 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Yea my subbs also are quick to the entrance they will rush towards it. Also I do know they are Great! climbers, they will walk on baby powder. Only barrier I find to be effective is olive oil.
We don’t talk about that

#23 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 18 2020 - 12:24 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Update!

Tetra queen 1: First nanitics!(eclosed today!)  :yahoo: 

Pheidole morrisii: big larvae and more eggs!  :)

Solenopsis molesta: Found more queens, I am seeing some eggs!  :)

Edit: pics coming soon!

Edited by Antkid12, July 18 2020 - 12:42 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#24 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 19 2020 - 2:20 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

A bit late sorry,

8rMA1EW.jpg

GJhDtEP.jpgKwMMiWZ.jpg

Edited by Antkid12, July 19 2020 - 2:21 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#25 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 21 2020 - 3:09 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Update

Tetra queen 2: Nanitics, they are so tiny!  :yahoo: 

Colobopsis sp: I wasn't sure this queen was fertile, but she has a few eggs that she is taking care of!  :yahoo:  

Solenopsis molesta: New queen!

pics soon!

Edited by Antkid12, July 21 2020 - 3:10 PM.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#26 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 5:13 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Today, I noticed that the Pheidole morrisii queen sucks at climbing, almost as much as Tetramorium!

• AntsDakota likes this

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 22 2020 - 7:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Today, I noticed that the Pheidole morrisii queen sucks at climbing, almost as much as Tetramorium!

That’s an endearing trait in any species.
  • Scherme, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#28 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 2:45 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Today, I noticed that the Pheidole morrisii queen sucks at climbing, almost as much as Tetramorium!

Haha, yeah.

#29 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 3:00 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Pics

Tetramorium queen 2's new nanitics!

b1mYPbr.jpg

Colobopsis queens:(I caught another one but its not in the photo) you can't see the eggs in this photo, but they are really elongated.

MoYgiaV.jpg

Solenopsis sp: I'm 100% sure that this is a Solenopsis molesta group, but they bigger and darker colored than my other Solenopsis.

emhJ2Fh.jpg

Edited by Antkid12, July 22 2020 - 3:01 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#30 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 22 2020 - 3:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

But Pogonomyrmex make Tetras look like acrobats.........
  • Antkid12 likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#31 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 22 2020 - 3:10 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

That bad...

#32 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 22 2020 - 3:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

That bad...
They can’t even climb plastic; a barrier isn’t necessary.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkid12 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#33 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 23 2020 - 7:43 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Solenopsis sp: I'm 100% sure that this is a Solenopsis molesta group, but they bigger and darker colored than my other Solenopsis.

Those are the same queens I got yesterday. They seem to be polygynous, but am unsure what they are. I'm just calling mine Solenopsis molesta-group for now.

• Antkid12 likes this

#34 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 23 2020 - 9:34 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
They are Solenopsis carolinensis I caught about 40 today and yesterday plus tons of pheidole Tysoni queens about 30
We don’t talk about that

#35 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:17 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

They are Solenopsis carolinensis I caught about 40 today and yesterday plus tons of pheidole Tysoni queens about 30

I have what I think are Solenopsis  carolinensis, but the are smaller and lighter colored. 

GELzEwi.jpg

Edited by Antkid12, July 23 2020 - 11:22 AM.

#36 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:22 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

The bigger ones are also bulkier. 

#37 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:37 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
Those are definitely Solenopsis carolinensis they are tiny and light colored like mine.
We don’t talk about that

#38 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 11:44 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Those are definitely Solenopsis carolinensis they are tiny and light colored like mine.

Yes, that is what I suspected. but I was wondering about the big ones.

#39 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 24 2020 - 6:57 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Tetra queens 3+4:  More nanitics, no sudden queen death yet. 

pics coming soon

• AntsDakota likes this

#40 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 24 2020 - 8:39 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

The larger ones are likely just Solenopsis molesta. As for the smaller ones, consider S. tennesseensis. You'll need a microscope and a key, though.

• Antkid12 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole dentata, camponotus nearcticus, antkid12, tapinoma sessile, ant journal, solenopsis, tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users