• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Tetramorium bicarinatum Journal.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 9:42 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

My mom found this amazing queen on a paper towel holder this morning, and decided to put her in a test tube for me. I was very amazed when I saw it, as I had no idea they could be here. Here is a picture to confirm her id;

I have given her two fruit flies, and in a day or so, some sugar water. I really hope she is fertile, as I really like this species.

Edited by NickAnter, July 5 2020 - 9:50 AM.

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and M_Ants like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 5 2020 - 10:29 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Nice!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:34 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I'm hoping to be able to catch some more on my black light tonight. If I do, they will all go in the same tube as the first queen.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:39 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

My mom found this amazing queen on a paper towel holder this morning, and decided to put her in a test tube for me.

Wow, you have a good Mom :lol:, mine won’t even go near my ants. Good luck on these.
  • AntsDakota and Froggy like this

Spoiler

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 12:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Indeed!!! And thank you. Another anting experience is when my dad pointed out a Formica aserva queen to me, thinking it was a carpenter ant worker. Sadly I released the queen, not knowing that I would find hosts the next day.

• CatsnAnts and TestSubjectOne like this

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 5 2020 - 1:42 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

My mom found this amazing queen on a paper towel holder this morning, and decided to put her in a test tube for me.

Wow, you have a good Mom :lol:, mine won’t even go near my ants. Good luck on these.
My mom found a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen on our deck and let me bring it inside.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My mom found a Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen on our deck and let me bring it inside.
My three year old son found me a Colobopsis queen today.
  • CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and TestSubjectOne like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Awesome!!

#9 Offline ForestDragon - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:38 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Nice find man, I know of a place in Ohio where I can find em, never found a queen but plenty of workers to go around lol

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2020 - 3:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Thanks. I have never seen a worker of these in my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users